Sunday, August 31, 2008

I stopped for a second this afternoon and counted all of the times I had seen Morgan Kate poked or stuck just today. I came up with 11. It absolutely breaks my heart to see this or even think of this. I want so badly for them to poke or stick me instead of her. Each day for her begins with a prick (or two or three) of the heel, then several blood collection samples for the nurses and then one for the respiratory therapist. Today was a day where everyone needed blood for one reason or another. On top of all this poking and prodding Morgan Kate had to have a small procedure performed late this afternoon. Yesterday, Dr. Bendeck, one of the five neonatologists, decided that Morgan Kate needed a Broviac catheter. The minute a preemie is born a tube similar to an IV is inserted into their belly button. This is where all fluids, etc. are pumped each day. This tube only lasts for about a week and then has to be replaced with something more permanent. The nurses could insert a basic IV for all of this, but it would have to be replaced every single day. No way - I don't think so! They tried to insert a PIC line Friday afternoon, but the veins in Morgan Kate's upper arm were just too small. They had to poke her four different times to figure this out. The PIC line is similar to the broviac, but is a little less invasive. The Broviac catheter was the next option. It is inserted in the upper part of the leg and must be done by a surgeon, a procedure than can last anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours. This evening around 6:oo, Dr. Camps, the surgeon, came by to insert the Broviac. He had to make two small incisions, insert the catheter and then stitch the openings up. She is only six days old and already has stitches. The procedure lasted right at 30 minutes and went very smoothly. The Broviac can stay in until she comes home. See below for a pic of Morgan Kate right after the procedure the Broviac is in her right leg.

Morgan Kate is still breathing on her own, which is a HUGE blessing. I thank God everyday for this! She is also feeding well. They have her own a feeding tube, but she is now being fed my milk. It makes me feel so good to know that I can help in some little way. I feel so helpless. She is on a tiny bit of oxygen - just to put some pressure on her lungs. She has apnea prematurity which basically means she forgets to breath sometimes and the oxygen helps with this. This causes the oxygen and her heart rate to fluctuate at times. Lots of alarms and noises coming from the machines..Her nurses and doctors are wonderful. Travis and I have been very pleased with everyone that helps take care of her. They are truly amazing!

No comments: