Thursday, December 11, 2008

I can't even begin to tell you how I have longed to just curl up on my bed and hold my precious little girl. Today I got my chance!

I was so content holding her and I think she was pretty content herself.
Sleeping the day away!
Morgan Kate wore this little Christmas outfit all of about five minutes. She then proceeded to pull out her OG feed causing her to throw up everywhere.
Bath time at the Callahan's! Now bath time may be scary for some "new" parents, but we have had 107 days of experience with assistance from some of the best nurses in the South. This we could handle!
Diaper changing time and I think Daddy was actually changing this one. Ha!
Daddy feeding Morgan Kate her first bottle at home!
Morgan Kate loves this swing!


Well, we survived our second night! Morgan Kate was awake until about 2:30 this morning, but then she went to sleep and slept the rest of the night. Of course we were still up doing her feeds and changing her, but she slept right through it all. Travis and I also took turns which helped out tremendously. I took over the 3am feed and he had the 6am. She has been up a lot more today so hopefully she will sleep more tonight. I have heard time and time again how little sleep parents get, but I never truly understood it until now. However, at the same time, it's crazy how just when you think you can't go another step you get a second wind. Thank goodness!

We are continuing to struggle with bottles. However, Travis fed her yesterday at 9pm and she took one. He has this amazing patience during bottles and I think she feeds off of his energy. She did a great job and almost finished the entire thing. We are just going to take it slow and take it day by day. It's frustrating at times. I don't get frustrated with her, I just get frustrated because it's something that comes so natural to most babies and it is so difficult for her.

Today Morgan Kate's home health nurse, Maggie, came for her first visit. She will continue to come 2-3 times a week. She will weigh Morgan Kate, check vitals and provide any help/supplies that we need. Today Morgan Kate weighed seven pounds even. Maggie talked with us some about the bottle feeding and told us not to get discouraged. She said that even if Morgan Kate only takes a few ccs at least she is trying and getting some practice.

Tomorrow we have another doctor's appointment. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. Our pediatrician is also in the process of scheduling an appointment with the pediatric pulmunologist. We should have that confirmed by Monday.

It has been so nice to go to bed each night and awake each morning and have Morgan Kate right there. As I rock her I tell her over and over again how special she is and how her Daddy and I have waited so long for this time with her. It is absolutely amazing how God creates these perfect little people. I am at awe by his work!

By the way, our fur babies, Lola and Cash, seem to have adjusted pretty well. We were worried about how Lola would react, but she has actually done really well. The very first day she jumped right up in my lap and wanted to check out Morgan Kate. Cash has been a little more leary. He will attempt to smell her and then jump back like something has frightened him.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Morgan Kate looks very content at home! You and Travis make a great team---that's the beauty of a wonderful marriage--he will have patience when yours is thin, and then you will be strong when he needs a break. Your love for each other is the best gift you can give Morgan Kate! :) Jenny

Anonymous said...

She looks so peaceful and content. Think "Home" is just what she needed:) The bottle feedings will come. Thanks so much for continuing to update the blog. She is just too cute! Hope she sleeps tonight and so do you and Trav. Enjoy your first weekend at home! Give Morgan Kate a big hug. Love you guys, Kelly

Anonymous said...

The family can stop picking on me about how many pictures I take. Your web page tonight looks exactly like what I would take pictures of :)! We are so delighted for you guys. How fun it is to read your web page and praise God for all He has done. Blessings! Aunt Terry

Jill said...

Awww...she's SO pretty!! You are right that bottle feeding comes natural, Heather...and it does for MK too ( I would imagine she has some of the same frustrations because she 'wants' to suck and swallow)....she just struggles because of her lungs...the scarring from the chronic lung makes it harder for her to breathe and oxygenate..thus she tires so much faster...with time and growth that will improve. You two are the most awesome parents!!! Keep up the good work!!
Much love!
Jill L

Anonymous said...

I have tears of happiness in my eyes seeing those pictures. I think they are the most beautiful I have ever seen! I am so glad everything is going so well for you all!
God Bless....
With love from a "stalker" that lives in Southern NH!

Anonymous said...

You and Travis look so natural. I believe this is just what you all needed to get home and be a family. You have alot of people who pray for you everyday God will continue to do his miraculous healing and give you and Travis the strength you need when you need it for that second wind. Give her lots of Hugs and Kisses from Aunt "J" and "MaMa C"