Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Maybe it's starting the Prevacid for reflux. Maybe it's stopping the Levsin drops. Maybe it's all our prayers. Maybe it's starting the Erythromycin for motility. Maybe it's stopping the inhaled steroid. Maybe it's all our prayers. Maybe it's being off of the oxygen during the day. Maybe it's being out of Mom and Dad's room. Maybe it's all our prayers. Whatever is is, maybe it will last.

We have been holding our breath for several days now and waiting for the other shoe to drop. I am afraid to even say it out loud or mention it for fear of jinxing things. But things have been going really well. However, my thinking is that if you all know that things are going well then you can continue to pray that things will keep going well. Please, please, please. 

First, since Friday night Morgan Kate has been sleeping at night and not during the day. This means Mommy and Daddy are sleeping too. It's amazing how much better you feel when your baby sleeps at night. We have come up with a sort of "bedtime routine" and it seems to be working. Thank goodness. Last Friday morning I was a mess. I was so, so, so very tired. When Travis and I woke up (after about two hours of sleep) I just cried and cried. When my dad took Morgan Kate and I to the pediatrician later in the morning I even cried to her. That night Morgan Kate slept. Maybe it was my crying or maybe it's because Kaky was here and she worked some of her magic.

Second, Morgan Kate has also been taking her bottle every three hours, which is much more manageable than every two hours. She even cries when we take it from her to burp her. There have been a few times when she doesn't want the entire thing and I don't push the issue. Monday morning she weighed in at nine pounds and six ounces. Wow! Now I realize that our "feeding success" could be temporary. Many preemies face issues with eating. They have weeks where everything goes smoothly and then there are weeks where they want nothing to do with food. I just pray that the success continues and that Morgan Kate will continue to grow and thrive. 

Now that we are on some sort of schedule, Travis and I are sticking to it. At 8pm each night we bathe her, lather her up with lotion, reattach all of her monitors, put her cannula back on, dress her and get her ready for bed. We feed her at 9pm and then she is off to sleepy land. If the phone rings during this time we don't answer. If we are doing something else and 8:00 approaches we immediately stop. If we happen to be on the phone and the call reaches that time, we end it. We are doing whatever we have to do to keep this going. 

No appointments this week. After we went to the pediatrician Monday morning and told her that things were going well, she told us to take the week "off". All we are supposed to do is work on our routine. And that sounds great to me!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to have read this post! I have been praying for Morgan Kate to start eating better and to figure out the sleeping at night thing. I am going to guess that the success is 10% medical changes and 90% answered prayers! I will keep them up!

Kelly Lee said...

WOW, that is the best news!!! I'm so glad ya'll have a routine going! And not only I'm I glad Miss Morgan Kate is getting some sleep but I'm so glad this is allowing you time to sleep. Thank goodness for answered prayers! You're going to have to post some pics of her getting close to 10 pounds:) I'm so glad things are going so well and pray they'll continue. Her nursery is even more precious than the last time I saw it and I bet it's priceless with her in it. Thinking about the 3 of you. Love and Prayers, Kelly Jean

Anonymous said...

God is good!! I am so glad to hear the joy in your writing. Motherhood is a fabulous thing...but not one that promises to be fun at ALL times! I am glad you have the week off. That is a great sign.
I continue to hold you close in my prayer and heart.
Love,
Wendy S.

Terry Sowell said...

This is awesome Heather! We will continue to pray. I wish I could tell you how many people at school ask me about Morgan Kate. Take care of yourself and remember we love you. Aunt Terry

Monica said...

Good Morning my Friend!
All of this is truly great news! You are always in my thoughts. I miss you bunches and bunches. I can't wait until the weather gets warmer and MK gets better and then just then, I might be able to meet her face to face. I will thank God for the blessings that you have received. Take care, give MK some sugar for me. monica

Anonymous said...

What great news! I am thrilled that Morgan Kate is doing well. That always means Mommy and Daddy will start doing better too :) I will pray that the feedings and schedule continue to work well for all of you. Love you!

Jessa

Anonymous said...

Sometimes a good cry helps reduce our stress!! I am so very happy that things are going better!!!!!!
God has answered all the prayers and we are so thankful.
Have a great rest of the week and a more normal weekend!!!

THE SPIVEY"S said...

I am so glad that things are getting easier and better. It makes life so much easier when there is a routine. I am also confident that the success you are having is coming from all the prayers. Thank goodness for answered prayers...God is unbelievable.

Anonymous said...

God is sooooom good. I know that you and Travis are doing better and MK too. It is okay to cry. It does THE BODY good not to mention the emotions. It is good to let them out both you and Travis. We will continue to pray for all of you and send love kisses and hugs to all of you. Love,
MaMa and Aunt J

Anonymous said...

God is sooooom good. I know that you and Travis are doing better and MK too. It is okay to cry. It does THE BODY good not to mention the emotions. It is good to let them out both you and Travis. We will continue to pray for all of you and send love kisses and hugs to all of you. Love,
MaMa and Aunt J

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear that things are going better. I wills till keep y'all in my prayers. I miss you guys so much, I hate not being on Wisteria Lane. I can't wait until Morgan Kate makes her BIG debut. i am dying not being able to see her. Yes, everyone is a lot happier when they have had sleep, especially at nite time. (Especially mommy) It's like they say, "If mommy isn't happy, aint no one going to be happy!" Take care and give Morgan Kate lots of hugs and kisses from us! Love you guys! Take care!

Justin and Jessica Jones said...

This is such good news. I pray that it will continue. How long are you on lock-down? I am DYING to see her in person again!

Hollie Heming said...

Routine does help! God is giving you far more strength and endurance than you ever thought possible! Love you!

Anonymous said...

I was so happy to read your blog tonight! Way to go Morgan Kate! I am sure that things will continue to improve. We still think and pray for y'all here at the Herring house every night. Let us know if there is anything that we can do to help you and Travis!
Wendy H.

Kerri Roberts said...

Haha..I think we were reading each others blogs at the exact same time. I was enjoying the montage when you commented on mine. I love her room and I love how she seems to be so "regular" now- with the clothes and toys and minus the face gear. It's wonderful to see! I think about you often and hope that you are in good spirits. Take Care...
K