Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Today was another great day. It's only Wednesday and we have had such an awesome week.

We met this morning with Dr. Yajnik. She was one of the neonatologist in the NICU. Not only does she do that, but she also meets with parents of the babies that leave the NICU and interprets the results/downloads from the apnea monitors. In the past month Morgan Kate has only had one apnea episode and it only lasted eleven seconds. It takes an apnea episode of twenty seconds to set the alarm off so we didn't even know it had happened. It was quick, she recovered and there was no heart rate drop. All great signs. We are going to stay on the apnea monitor (only at night) until her downloads are all clear. Suits me just fine. The apnea monitor helps me sleep a lot better at night. Personally, I think all newborn babies should come home with apnea monitors.

On our way in to meet with Dr. Yajnik we ran into some of our "preemie friends". Shortly after we left the NICU the Burkett Family arrived. They had twins born prematurely and for a while one of the twins was in Morgan Kate's old room. Anyway, we heard about their family and that they too had a blog. Precious, precious family. I immediately began reading and checking in on them. They have both been released and are now at home and doing great. We have never met in person, but the minute I saw them I knew who they were and they recognized us. The twins are absolutely precious! To read more about them and their journey you can click on The Burkett Bundle in the right sidebar under "Other Preemie Miracles." They are miracles indeed!

After we left our meeting with Dr. Yajnik we headed for the NICU. We haven't seen any of our nurses, doctors or RT's since leaving over three months ago. I thought going back will feel strange and maybe even eery since we were there for so long. However, it was a great trip and it felt really good. It was a nice reminder of how far we have come and how much Morgan Kate was loved while there. It was so nice to see everyone and share Morgan Kate. I wish we could have seen everyone!

We also stopped by the high risk end of the floor to see our friend, Ms. Francena. She took such good care of us while I was in the high risk area and we love her dearly. She had not seen Morgan Kate since probably October. She was amazed at how well she was doing and how big she was. 

It was such a great day full of good news and wonderful visits.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of visits, I can't believe I failed to mention this yesterday. Many of you may remember this post from back in September. In the post I mentioned a couple we had met in the NICU. They were discharged sometime in late September, early October and we haven't seen them since. I think about them and their little girl all the time. Well, when we went to the pulmonologist yesterday they were there. It was so great to see them and catch up. Their daughter is doing great and is so cute!

---------------------------------------------------------
Our early interventionist was scheduled to come for a visit tomorrow, but we had to cancel. She has bronchitis. Yikes! 

We don't have anymore appointments this week. Next week, we have our last visit from our home health nurse and we are supposed to have a visit from our early interventionist. Other than that it will be a "free week". How nice!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So good for you guys to catch up with friends. Sorry I missed you guys today. I was not sure which house was yours and did not want to leave the goodies on the porch. Maybe another time. Such good news today for Morgan Kate and I am sure you and Travis feel wonderful of how far she has come. Well all of you have done so well since Morgan Kate's arrival. Hug and Kiss her for us.

Love,

Aunt Jan and MaMa

Stephanie said...

Oh it sounds like you had a wonderful day with tons of visits! Glad Morgan Kate is doing so well and I personally think I'd be more comfortable with the apnea monitor also :)

Hollie Heming said...

Good news! I'll bet those nurses in the NICU wanted to eat Morgan Kate up! They were probably astounded at how she has changed since they saw her in December. I can't wait to see her (and you) too!

Terri Lynn Brearey / Founder & CEO said...

I totally agree. I think all babies should have a monitor when they come home. They are now coming out with so many different ones and even a very small one that would attach on the baby’s diaper. If they can get the cost on this low enough I believe that every hospital should send one home on the child with the parents. It just may help as the lives of some babies.
Remember you are truely blessed may god Bless you and your family and I look forward to reading more of your post.
Terri Lynn
Founder of Infant & Children Sleep Apnea Awareness Foundation
"Kids Sleep Disorders"
www.infantsleepapnea.org

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear that you had more good news! I love looking at your pictures and reading your comments about Morgan Kate every night. I was looking at some of the other preemie blogs tonight and thinking about them and MK and I think that they are all testimonies of God's power! WOW! They are all living proof of the power of prayer and faith! She is such a blessing!

Wendy H.

Anonymous said...

Whee---eating rice cereal?????

Be prepared---Mk just might have a
Sowell appetite, especially when she gets those two teeth!

She is beautiful; Dr. Shuler thought she was precious--I showed computer pics today. Please send me pic of my holding MK,
NACAPENDA

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I REALLY miss your daily
blogs; Thursday seem so long for last one. I know you are extremely busy, but just know we all are still praying for MK and you two, as well.
Have a super, great day.

I love you----nacapenda
mj