Tuesday, January 12, 2010

When it comes to parenting this little girl, I feel like I do a pretty good job. Of course there are times when she falls and bumps her head or puts something in her mouth that's she not supposed to. But overall, I think I do a pretty good job.


Parenting this little girl is a completely different story.


We got Lola shortly before we were married. And she was our everything. EVERYTHING. Our world revolved around this little eight pound bundle of white fur. We cuddled her, played with her and bought her toys like everyday was Christmas. We let her sleep with us, took her on trips and family vacations and never really left her, except for our honeymoon and our one year anniversary cruise. During the summers when I was home she would sleep late with me and stay curled up behind me. We bathed her frequently and kept her groomed perfectly. She was our baby.

And then I got pregnant. Everyone told me that things would change. That I would look at Lola differently and that she would take a backseat to the new baby. I didn't believe a word anyone said. I denied it and swore that I would be different.

I am learning that maybe, just maybe, I was wrong and all those people were kind of right. It saddens my heart to think that Lola has taken a backseat or that things have changed. But I know they have. At least some.

Now when Lola barks, I fuss at her. If she goes near Morgan Kate, I fuss at her. If she has an accident, I fuss at her. If she eats Morgan Kate's food, I fuss at her. She still goes on every trip and family vacation, but I don't cuddle her or play with her nearly enough. And she definitely doesn't get groomed as frequently as she used to. Of course we Travis bathes her and keeps her clean, but grooming her has slipped some. I realize that things are going to be different. But they don't have to be so drastically different.

So after a trip to the vet today and the HUGE realization that things need to change with my "doggie parenting", I am vowing to do a much better job with Lola. After all, she still is my "doggie baby" and I still do love her so very much.

I better run, I have some "doggie snuggling" to do.

P.S. And yes, we do have another fur baby. And a post about him his coming very soon!

2 comments:

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

That is so true! I didn't believe it either, until I had a baby. I spend more time yelling at my pets now, and sometimes an entire day will go by and I'll realize I haven't even touched them. I feel really guilty about it!

Rebecca said...

The SAME thing happened here, too!! I have to make myself stop a few times a day and spend about 5 minutes loving on Charlie. We also have vowed to be more consistent in walking her this year.