Monday, July 18, 2011

Prior to having Morgan Kate I never saved cards. When I received birthday cards or anniversary cards or sometimes even thinking of you cards I would read them and then throw them away. I know it sounds awful and it makes me sound so unappreciative. But, it's the truth. Don't get me wrong, there were the occasional cards that I hung on to because they said something extra special or commemorated some special event, but most of them didn't make the cut. 

All of that changed when I was hospitalized while pregnant with Morgan Kate. I found this brand new appreciation for cards and words and thoughts. I clung to them, maybe because I was looking for anything to cling to. I found so much peace and so much joy reading what others had written. Those cards and those notes were some of my greatest encouragement and support. And I saved almost everyone. I saved all of the cards I received while I was in the hospital, all I received while MK was in the hospital and all I received to congratulate me on her birth or her homecoming. And I still have all of them today.
This is just one of the two baskets where I keep my cards. Now I save birthday cards, anniversary cards and thinking of you cards. I love to go back every so often and read them. Just the other day while I was cleaning out the guest closet I did just that. I began sifting through them and reading some. I got so excited going through them. Some I remembered so clearly and others had slipped by mind. They brought back so many memories and feelings and thoughts. I laughed, I cried, I thought, a lot. It was good for my heart and soul. When I finished, I put them back on the shelf in their safe little place. 


Now I am sure, actually I know, that I do not keep every single card I receive these days. If it only has a name or two or three words, well then, I read it and I am thankful for it, but it doesn't make the basket. On the other hand, if the person sending the card has taken the time to share something with me, encourage me, support me, etc, well then, that card is going straight to the basket. And it will be waiting on that little shelf for me. 


(I also realize that it would be nearly impossible to keep all of the cards for the rest of my life. Things like that could land me on a future episode of Hoarders: Buried Alive. But, for now, while I still have a tiny bit of extra space, I'm keeping them.)

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Thank you for leaving a comment with Morgan Kate's story on my blog. It is so encouraging & inspiring to read about others who have endured similar difficult pregnancies. It really means a lot to us! Your daughter is just adorable!! Oh, and I save the cards I receive with encouraging words in them as well! :)