Sunday, October 28, 2012

Mountain Trip 2012

We haven't spent the weekend in the mountains in for what seems like forever. The last time I remember staying overnight, during the fall, in the mountains was when I was about 14 years old. Maybe a little younger. We've been for day trips, but no overnights. This year when planning our annual trip to SkyTop to pick apples, we decided to make a weekend out of it. And to rent a mountain house. Best. Idea. Ever.
My parents went down on Thursday night in order to enjoy a little time together before for the craziness arrived. The craziness meaning the rest of us.
We arrived late Friday evening and spent the rest of the night chatting and putting puzzles together (Morgan Kate's request) and just relaxing. We were all quite content.
Saturday morning we awoke to the most beautiful sight. We sat on the porch and drank coffee. We took our time cooking a big breakfast and getting ready. It was so my kind of morning.
After breakfast we headed out for a hike. Actually, I thought we were just going for a little walk. And that little walk turned in to an actual hike. 
It was awesome and provided a great background for family pictures. I was a bit obsessive with my picture taking.
The weather was perfect and the hiking was really nice. The fall colors were in full effect and we enjoyed every minute of it. Morgan Kate kept up with the rest of us until almost the end and then wanted a piggy back ride to the car.
For a long time I've thought summer was my favorite season. And I do adore it. However, I think fall may be my new favorite or at least a close second.
The trip was so nice because we had no agenda. Not set plans. Nothing to do, but enjoy the mountains and each other.


After hiking we headed out for ice cream. My parents had been the day before and raved about it, so we all decided to go. It did not disappoint. I chose a milkshake and it was probably the best milkshake I have ever had. No lie.
 Morgan Kate enjoyed a big scoop of "purple ice cream".
We spent some time walking around these cute little shops and then headed back to our mountain house to watch the football game.
Morgan Kate must have been worn out from our hike earlier in the day because she napped for almost four hours. When she finally woke up she wanted to spend some time outdoors playing and skipping and taking pictures.
I was able to get some pretty adorable shots of her and some sweet, sweet pictures of she and my mom.
Our house was ah-mazing. It was three different levels with three bedrooms and three bathrooms. It also had a huge kitchen and living area, as well as a game room. The inside was so nice, but the outside was my favorite - huge wrap around porches with spectacular views. 
Saturday night we grilled steaks and roasted marshmallows and made S'mores. Again, so relaxing. 
As usual, the weekend flew by and it was Sunday before we knew it. Leaving the house and my family was hard, but the fact that we were leaving to go apple picking made it a little easier.
We had THE best time and we are already making plans for next year. There is nothing better, in my opinion, than relaxing, unwinding and spending time with those that are near and dear to your heart. 

No comments: