Friday, December 28, 2012

Christmas in the Burg.

Saturday we left to spend a few days in Orangeburg for Christmas. The minute we arrived in Orangeburg my parents gave Morgan Kate and Hunter their BIG Christmas gift - a trampoline. Both of them absolutely loved it! When my brothers and I were younger we had a trampoline. It was much larger than the one pictured, had no nets and no covers over the springs. Needless to say, it was quite the hazard, but SO much fun. 
We let the babies jump for awhile and then we headed out to my grandma's farm to ride fourwheelers and hang out. The farm is a lot of fun, but it's also good for the heart and soul. 
My dad's three brothers came to spend the day. They are TROUBLE.
 We spent the afternoon riding around.
 And goofing off.
 And watching Travis and Kyle get stuck and unstuck.
 Uncle Jimmy even got stuck a time or two.
It was such a great day and the perfect way to kick off Christmas.
We were all so excited for the holidays and the fact that we were all going to be at home and together. The whole crew - me, Trav, MK, Owens, Trenholm, Kyle, Hunter and of course my parents. 
When we got back to my parent's house Saturday evening my mom wasn't feeling well. Sunday morning she made a trip to the local Doctor's Care and it was confirmed - she had bronchitis, a sinus infection and the FLU. Are you kidding me?!?

I spent a majority of the day Sunday having a pity party. I was sad that my daddy is having to battle this awful disease and take medications that make him feel tired and achy and just overall not good. I was sad for my mom and that she wasn't going to be able to enjoy the holidays like we had planned. I was just sad and angry and overwhelmed. I was also a little hormonal, so I'm sure that added to it. 

However, with these two sweet faces it's hard to stay sad and mad and overwhelmed.
Sunday afternoon Travis and I took MK and Hunter over to Mammies. We wanted to give my mom a chance to rest and we wanted to keep the kiddos away from the flu.
They ate Happy Meals and played on Mammie's keyboard. We laughed so hard.

Sunday evening we built a big fire in my parent's backyard. 
We all sat around (minus my mom) and talked and laughed and reminisced. 
Eventually we put the little ones to bed. And the rest of us -me, Trav, Trenholm and my brothers - sat up until the wee hours of the morning. It was SO much fun and SO needed. Definitely one of the highlights of my time at home. 

I was up late with my brothers and this little guy had me up early the next morning. Super early.
My mom bought MK and Hunter these precious pajamas. They wore them each night we were in Orangeburg and they were the cutest!
Christmas Eve we went to Mammie's for dinner, our annual tradition. Once again, mom wasn't able to go. We ate way too much food, as usual, but had such a good time with family. Every single year I am just so impressed with what all my grandmother does. She is amazing!

After our big dinner we headed back to my parent's house to get in the bed so that Santa could come. Mama Jean came with us to spend the night - she's done this since my grandfather passed way in 1989 and it is one of my favorite traditions. I love having her with us!

Some time during the night Santa stopped by and left all of this for our girl. 
The next morning Owens had to wake everyone, including MK. I guess we were all so tired. We all gathered on the stairs together (my mom was finally feeling a little better) before going into the "Christmas room". This is something we have done for as long as I can remember. We wait for my parents to turn on the tree lights and get everything just right and then we all go in together. 
We spent the morning opening gifts, laughing, drinking coffee and eating a yummy breakfast. Around noon it was time for Owens and Trenholm to head out to her parent's house. The rest of us spent the afternoon with Mammie and then back at my parent's house to hang out and relax.
Mama Jean came back over for Christmas dinner and we grilled steaks and had baked potatoes.

Despite my mom having the awful flu, it was a great Christmas - one filled with family, food and love. It doesn't get any better!

No comments: