Tuesday, January 27, 2015

25 Weeks

Yesterday began week 25 for us.

Week 25 is the week that MK made her grand entrance. Yes, my mind is racing 100 mph. Yes, I'm biting my nails. Yes, I'm replaying the events from my hospitalization and her birth. And after a little scare last week, I'm anxious to say the least.

But, at the same time, I feel okay. I really do feel like I am in THE best care as far as doctors. He's aggressive, he's proactive, he's caring, he's intelligent, and he's doing everything humanly possible to get us full term. I'm being monitored closely and we have preventative measures in place. I have a cerclage, meds to take, and every Monday I receive an injection of progesterone. I'm following doctor's orders and my family's orders. My family might be slightly tougher than my doctor. So while on one hand I'm anxious, I'm also trying to be okay.
Thursday, at our 24 week appointment, things looked good. Our sweet baby weighed one pound, ten ounces. Almost his or her big sister's birth weight. Heartbeat was in the 150s. Cervix and fluid were good. There was no funneling like I had with MK and my blood pressure was good. I had my glucose test - a first for me! It wasn't nearly as bad as people had made it out to be. It tasted a lot like flat orange soda. I think it also helped that I was really thirsty. I think I was also just excited to have it done since it was totally bypassed while in the hospital with MK. Having it done made me feel like a normal pregnant woman.

There were a few concerns at my appointment - low hemoglobin, despite already taking iron twice a day. And there was some protein in my urine. We talked about those things, came up with a plan, and I was feeling good. A few minutes before I left, my doctor decided he wanted to do a Fetal Fibronectin Test (FFN). Fetal fibronectin is a protein that acts as a "glue" during pregnancy, attaching the amniotic sac to the lining of the uterus. He thought it would give us peace of mind. Except it didn't. I had this test done with MK at 24 weeks. It came back positive and that same night my water broke. Despite my history with this test, I left the office that day feeling semi-confident that all would be okay. By late afternoon I hadn't heard back from the office and I assumed that maybe that was a good sign. However, around 5:45, my doctor called to let me know that the test was in fact positive.

He was so kind and so patient while he explained everything. He told us several times that he hated to call with those results. These were not the results he had anticipated. He mentioned meds and steroids and all of the things I had heard before. Granted, this test is not always 100% accurate and it by no means meant that I would go into labor at that very moment. A positive fetal fibronectin test is a clue that the "glue" has been disturbed and you're at increased risk of preterm labor. I didn't care about the statistics or what Google had to say about any of it. I only cared about the fact that I had had this test done before and it came back positive and my water broke that night. That was all I could think about. And it was all I did think about. Travis and I barely slept a wink Thursday night. 

My doctor had us come in to the hospital Friday morning for monitoring. I had envisioned a big room with several other women, all of us hooked up to monitors. Reality was a hospital room, hospital gown, hospital bed and monitors. I was having contractions, but nothing consistent. Such a blessing. My doctor came by and spoke with us. We talked about meds for the contractions. We talked about the FFN and the possibility of a false positive. We talked about staying off of my feet and calling if anything changed. I left Friday feeling much better. Not 100%, but better. 

One of my favorites!
Despite the positive FFN, my body was showing no other signs of preterm labor. Another huge blessing. We are to return next week for a second test, another ultrasound, and to meet with the doctor. At that point I'll be 26 weeks. I've never been that pregnant before!

25 Week Update

Due Date: Official due date is May 9th or 10th or 11th. I'm super irregular (shocker), so we don't really know. I'll have a c-section the last week of April.

Gender: It's a surprise!

Movement: Lots of kicks and turns and punches. I love it! I never had this with MK, so I'm enjoying every second.

Feeling: I'm just thankful to be pregnant! Yes, I have heartburn, but it's another reminder that I have a little one growing inside of me. Yes, my meds make me feel hormonal and nauseous and tired and sore, but again, I'm pregnant. 

Food Cravings: Schlotzsky's Smoked Turkey Original Sandwiches, Menkoi Spicy Ramen Noodle bowls, my mom's Strawberry High, 5th Avenue Bars, cold stuff

Food Aversions: Lots. My appetite is pitiful.

Clothes: Bed rest allows for mostly PJs or lounge clothes. When I do get dressed for doctor's appointments I'm wearing all maternity. 

Stretch Marks: Not so far.

Sleep: I sleep best in our recliner. I'm not really a side sleeper, so that's been an adjustment. I receive my weekly injections in my hip (more like my behind) and they make my sides so sore and tender. But again, I'm pregnant. This is all temporary. No big deal!

Best Moment: Making it to 25 weeks and not being hospitalized!! Feels like a huge milestone. 26 weeks is going to feel even better!


Kimberly (Anthony's Mom) said...

Sorry for the nerves. I too had a positive FFN test before I had Anthony. But I had been having labor signs for weeks (because of Hailey). I think if you are not having any signs or symptoms that is GREAT!


Jason and Talyse said...

I got chills reading this! You are beautiful and I am so happy for your family!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam, and Dylan Too! said...

Praying that sweet baby stays put! I had a positive test with Dylan, and he stayed in there 6 more weeks!