It took me a while to decide what rooms I wanted in the dollhouse. Obviously, I knew there needed to be a kitchen and living area, but I wasn't sure what to do with the upstairs. Originally I thought bedroom and bathroom. Toys R Us and Hobby Lobby had the cutest bathroom furniture, BUT it didn't really fit into either of the upstairs rooms.
I found a dollhouse family at Toys R Us and that really helped me finalize my decision. The set included mom, dad, sister, and baby. I then decided that a master bedroom and a nursery were my best options. I'm glad I went with that. Besides, it's much more fun to play in the baby room versus a bathroom.Three things became an issue while working on the dollhouse. Number one - time. I thought I had so much time to work on this, but in reality I didn't. I spent too much time thinking and not enough time working. Number two - furniture. Like I mentioned in my previous post, furniture is so expensive. And there are just too many options. There was so much cute stuff and I just couldn't make up my mind. It's much cheaper to order online and again, I ran out of time. And number three - giving my girl a voice. Originally I wanted to do the entire thing on my own. Every detail, every square inch - all of it. But then I thought it might be a better idea to give my girl some say since it is her dollhouse. I left the master bedroom unfurnished and the kitchen only partially furnished. She can now decide what she wants to get for those rooms and how she wants to lay them out.
In the master bedroom I painted the walls, hung a frame, and added some wallpaper on the back wall. I found the frame at either Michaels or Hobby Lobby. There were two in a pack and I used one here and one on the front door. I loved the color and the shape and the distressed look. They were perfect! So many of the dollhouses I found online were decorated with "wallpaper". People either used scrapbook paper or wrapping paper. I had both, but I didn't like either options for the master. Instead I searched online, found a cool image I liked, and then printed it on computer paper. I cut it to size and used Modge Podge to adhere it to the wall. There are a few bubbles if you look really closely, but overall I was very pleased. The walls are decorated, but now my girl can decide on her own furniture and what she wants to do with this room.
I moved on to the nursery next. If you look closely, you will notice a little nook in the very back. Apparently my granddaddy wallpapered that area before he ever put the house together. There was no way possible to get back there and do anything, so I left it as is. I like it like that because it's like having a little piece of him still there. I painted two of the walls and used scrapbook paper, that I already had, on the other wall.
I found the nursery furniture at Toys R Us. It's plastic, but I know it's durable and things need to be durable when held by a six year old. The little teddy bear on the floor came with the set, and the yellow animal (not sure if that's a dog or a bear) was something I found in MK's room.
It may be difficult to see, but on that wall behind the chair and bears I "hung" buttons on the wall. I had lots of spare buttons and decided to use some of them to decorate the walls of the dollhouses. I just used hot glue to stick them on the walls.
I made the little banner with scraps I had and used mini clothespins to attach it to the wall. MK can change it out however often she wants to or she can hang something completely different.
Once I finished the top two rooms, it was time to move on to the bottom. Those rooms were bigger and required a little more work and creative thinking.