Sunday, October 5, 2008

Happy 6th week, Morgan Kate!

Today was yet an another eventful day for Morgan Kate. Even after the lasix and blood transfusion Morgan Kate's oxygen needs were still not decreasing. They weren't increasing which was great, but the oxygen levels were not where the doctors wanted them. Therefore, Dr. C decided to try something different - an oxygen hood.

When most preemies are born they immediately require the ventilator. The ventilator is a machine that breathes for babies. Morgan Kate was an exception and did not require the vent. God surely did bless us! She was able to breathe on her own, but needed a little assistance in keeping her lungs open. Therefore, the doctors put Morgan Kate on the CPAP (CPAP stands for continuous positive airway pressure and can be seen in Morgan Kate's earliest photos). When they believed she was ready for even less assistance they put her on the nasal cannula which you may have seen in almost all of her pictures. It's the small clear tube that runs into her nose. I know there is a difference between the CPAP and the cannula, but I don't know the exact information and I don't want to misinform anyone. The nasal cannula sends a constant air flow directly into her nose. This causes her nose to dry out and become irritated. It causes a lot of congestion and just yucky stuff in her nose (aka-lots of boogers). This yucky stuff interferes with her breathing, therefore, requiring more oxygen. Earlier today when the respiratory therapist came to suction her there was lots of yucky stuff in her nose. Due to this Dr. C wanted to try something different - the oxygen hood. The best way to describe the oxygen hood is a cookie jar without a bottom and an opening for her little neck. Under the hood she doesn't have to have the cannula which provides some great relief for her nose. The hood also provides humidity which will help with all the yucky stuff in her nose. It looked quite scary at first and I thought I might have a bit of a break down, but after I saw how content she was I was relieved some. They are going to try the hood for a little while to see if it helps, if not then they might go back to the CPAP. Dr. C said that she is still really tiny and young and that her lungs just need time to mature. Please pray that Morgan Kate's lung continue to mature.

Morgan Kate slept much of the day. She seemed very content under the oxygen hood. Tonight she had wonderful nurses who were so gentle and kind with her. Sunday nights are bath night in the NICU and I was a little worried about how that would all work out with the oxygen hood. The nurses took their time and it worked out perfectly. She only fussed a little bit. Travis and I got to see her for the first time without anything on her face. Our baby has been here for six weeks now and we have never seen her face without tubes or bandages. We already knew she was beautiful, but tonight we got to see that she is absolutely gorgeous. I got to hold her for a few minutes with nothing attached to her and it was amazing! 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know Morgan Kate looks even more beautiful without the tubes and bandages in her way. Did you get any pictures? So many people are praying for your family during this difficult time. Keep your head up and know that you are in so many thoughts and prayers multiple times a day. How about 3 pounds!! I continue to pray for Morgan Kate, especially her lungs. We love y'all!

Jessa

Hollie Heming said...

I'm so happy you were able to hold her without all the tubes. I know that is a special time that you and Travis will never forget. It's actually the first time you "saw" her sweet little face. I know you will treasure that sight forever. My prayer today will be specifically for Morgan Kate's lungs and for her oxygen levels. I'm also praying for your mom as her surgery approaches. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Heather!

I love reading your posting and so admire your positive attitude. How special to get to see that beautiful face!!! Tell her to grow quickly so she can try on Maggie's crown! Love and blessings! Aunt Terry

Anonymous said...

Hey Heather,

I'm not sure if you remember me or not (Amy) but I stumbled upon your post and just wanted to let you know that we will definitely be praying for Morgan Kate. She seems like such a little trooper. My niece was born 3 months early and weighed in at only 1 lb. 9 oz. She went through multiple surgeries. Today she's as healthy as can be and only a few inches behind my daughter. They are a month and 3 days apart. She was such a tiny, fragile little thing but is now doing great! God is so good! Well, I just wanted you to know that I saw your post and am praying for you and your precious little blessing. I'll put her on our prayer list at church on Wednesday night. There's definitely healing power in the name of Jesus! ~ God Bless, Amy
~ But He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,and by His wounds we are healed. ~ Isaiah 53:5