Sunday, November 30, 2008

Happy 14 weeks, Morgan Kate! 
Earlier today Travis and I decorated the house for Christmas. We didn't put out as much stuff as usual, but we did decorate the tree and the mantle. We still need to hang the wreaths and lights outside, but the inside is finished. We wanted to go ahead and get things done so that when Morgan Kate finally does get home it will all be ready! Our tree is artificial and so is the garland on the mantle - no fear of the smell bothering Morgan Kate. It's all very safe!

We spent the afternoon and the evening with Morgan Kate. She was asleep for most of the time, but awake some too. She had a great afternoon and evening, which means we did as well. Sunday nights are bath night so we got to really help out. We love being around for bath time. She did a great job and seemed so relaxed. Once bath time was over we dressed her and swaddled her and she was out like a light. She weighed in tonight at 6 pounds 11.8 ounces. Six pounds and twelve ounces is right around the corner meaning she's gained five pounds since birth. Wow!

Be sure to check out the new pictures in the slideshow to the right. I added new pictures to the old slideshow.

The above pictures are the instruments used to measure the amount of oxygen Morgan Kate is receiving. Both instruments are used with the low flow cannula. The first instrument is used if the patient requires 1/8th of a liter or more of oxygen. As you can see it ranges from 1/8th of a liter to three liters. When Morgan Kate was first on the low flow she was at 1/4th of a liter and then reduced to 1/8th. The second instrument is used if the patient requires less than 1/8th of a liter and if so, then it's measured in ccs. It measure oxygen from 200ccs - 25ccs. Morgan Kate is now using the second instrument and she varies anywhere from 25ccs - 75ccs. As you can see 25ccs is the very last mark. Yahoo! From what I have been told they like for patients to be on 25-50ccs before sending them home. This ensures a lot of room to move around in case a patient were to need more oxygen. I just wanted all of you to see these contraptions. Travis and I are both so excited that she is on the low flow and that she is around the 25 mark. It's absolutely amazing!

Today marks Morgan Kate's 98th day in the NICU and our 104th day at Palmetto Baptist. Who knew we would be here so long? Travis and I were talking earlier today about how long it has been and just how we have done it for so long. We are very fortunate to have the support of one another, as well as awesome family and friends. However, I know I have relied a lot on prayer. I find myself praying all of the time. I pray on my way to the hospital, while I am at the hospital, in the morning, in the middle of the afternoon, before bed, at 3:00am when I wake up wondering how Morgan Kate is doing. I pray all of the time. Before Morgan Kate was born I prayed, but it was nothing compared to now. I also find that my prayers are more like conversations with God. I have really learned to talk to him and rely on him. He has been and continues to be an awesome God and my prayers have definitely been answered. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Heather ,Travis and Squirrel it is 300 am and I am reading the blog. Love Gdiddy

Anonymous said...

hi...checked out your blog after reading your comment on Kayleigh's blog...I'm up for an early morning feeding, and I will pray that you will know that joy very soon!!! Your little girl is beautiful==I am also amazed at your strength, and your faith...I find it inspirational. My second child was a 32 weeker and spent a few scary weeks in the NICU, it was so hard, I wish I had the faith that you and the Freeman's have, I am sure it helps. So glad to see your little girl is doing well, and I will keep your family in my prayers, and will check in from time to time to get updates on Morgan Kate :) Take care, Leslie Johnson Glastonbury, CT

Monica said...

Hey friends,
It sounds like HOME is in the works around there. I am so excited for you! There really is no place like home you know. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all daily. Much love,
Hope your day is great!
monica

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Heather! It is amazing how much those prayers will continue to increase. It is SO awesome to know that He is listening to you 24/7. What a blessing His faithfulness is! We continue to pray also. We love you! Aunt Terry

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather, Travis, and Morgan Kate! Just wanted to let you guys know that I think you are awesome! And you are wonderful parents... it has to be tiring going up to the hospital everyday, though I know you enjoy every minute with your beautiful baby girl. I hope you are able to go home soon! I pray for you all the time and think of you often.
Love you! Julie

Anonymous said...

I am so glad your family had a nice Thanksgiving and weekend. I thought about y'all a lot. This Christmas will be more special than any you've ever had. Y'all are going to have the best time with sweet Morgan Kate. So thankful for the good reports! Love y'all!

Jessa

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the new pics!!! #19 in the slide show makes my heart skip a beat...I love it. Just think pretty soon she's going to be home with you guys every day with that smile on her face. Actually it reminds me on when you just can't get enough of the sweet baby and you're tickling and baby talking to her and they have that priceless smile and start their "baby giggling." (Hopefully that just made sense) It's such a good feeling, she's come so far!!! With love and prayers, Kelly

Anonymous said...

Why havent you updated lately ?? Is everything okay ?