Saturday, November 22, 2008

Imagine having a baby and not hearing the word "home" for ninety days. Yes, today, on the 90th day of Morgan Kate's stay, we heard the word "home" for the first time since her birth. It wasn't a definite or even a set date, it was just the mention of the word, but it sure did help give hope to parents who are so ready for their baby to come home.

Morgan Kate is continuing to do well on the low flow cannula. She has done so well that she is down to 50ccs. Wow! Dr. Y said that as long as she can continue to do well on the low flow then we can talk about going home. I asked Dr. Y if it would be possible to bring home at least one neonatologist and a few nurses with us. Ha ha! At this time Morgan Kate would come home on oxygen, as well as tube feedings. Dr. Y said that we would be trained on her oxygen and tube feeds, as well as have CPR training and several other things. I know these all sound a bit scary, but I know they are things that Travis and I could both do if it meant bringing Morgan Kate home. Now, with all that being said, we are trying not to get our hopes up. We both know all too well that things don't often go as planned. We are also not trying to rush things. We know Morgan Kate is getting the absolute best care and we want her to be her absolute best before we bring her home. We are just thrilled that we finally heard the word and that it is a real possibility. 

Morgan Kate took two bottles today. She took one at 12pm and then another at 6pm. She did great with her 12pm bottle and did okay with her 6pm. She is getting extra calories in a her formula, as well as iron. The combination of these two things is causing her to have A LOT of gas. Her little tummy has been bothering her for a few days now. Hopefully, with her great weight gain she will be able to come off of some of the extra calories and this will help with the gas and the gas pains. Tonight she weighed in at six pounds and four ounces. Wow!

God is awesome and is truly doing amazing things in Morgan Kate's life. We are so thankful and in awe at the work he does each and every day. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! What wonderful news to hear the doctor say the word home. I know that the NICU has become your home away from home, but to go to your own home with Morgan Kate would be awesome! Ya'll have so many things to be thankful for on Morgan Kate's first Thanksgiving!
Wendy H.

Anonymous said...

That is great news Heather! I know it will be a blessing to have her home. Love, Aunt Terry

Monica said...

Hey my friend! Wow, I was just thinking about that myself. I am so happy for all of you. I will continue to pray for you. Much love,
monica

Anonymous said...

God NEVER seizes to amaze me! I'm so excited for you guys! I don't think it'll be much longer before she is home!

God Bless,
Amy

Anonymous said...

Looking back through the pictures it is truly amazing to see how much Morgan Kate has grown and "filled out". That little girl has some sweet cheeks!
I am sure the doctors won't let her go home before she is ready, but you have learned so much I am sure they are very confident in your care. This is wonderful news.
Haved a blessed Thanksgiving.
Ann Hamrick

Anonymous said...

It makes my heart so happy to hear this good news! Hooray! Every step, tiny as it might seem, is still a step in the right direction.
:) Jenny