Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"Lord, when doubts fill my mind, when my heart is in turmoil, quiet me and give me renewed hope and cheer." Psalm 94:19

Morgan Kate says, "Happy Birthday, "Aunt" Kelly! I hope you had a great day!

Morgan Kate was quite a sleepy girl today, which is good because when she sleeps, she grows. I gave her her first bottle today at 12pm. I wish I could say she did great and took the entire thing. Unfortunately, she was entirely too sleepy and it took us forever. In the end she finished all except for about 10ccs. However, tonight for the 9pm feed she did awesome! She finished in about twenty-five minutes and took the entire thing. Way to go, Morgan Kate!

Her oxygen stayed between 33%-36% for most of the day. This is slightly higher than yesterday, but still lower than it has been lately. Tonight she was at 34% at had very few desats (oxygen desaturations causing an alarm to go off) which is great.

Morgan Kate weighed in at five pounds and fifteen ounces. We have a big girl on our hands! I know she will hit the 6 pound mark by this weekend. One of my good friends, Erin, who is a NICU nurse, gave me a great idea. She told me about using little hanging toys to mark Morgan Kate's weight. For instance, when she hit two pounds we hung a small toy from her isolette, when she hit three we added another and so forth. Erin's mom, Mrs. Donna, actually sent the very first hanging toy. Thanks ladies for the great idea and for the toy! We no longer hang them from the isolette since she has outgrown it, but we do hang them from the cabinets in her room. Some of you may have noticed them before and wondered why they were there. Well, they are in honor of each pound gained! Morgan Kate now has four toys hanging and I am hoping we will get to add another this weekend. It's funny though, when Erin first told me about this idea I never imagined we would still be in the NICU at six pounds. 

Be sure to check out the new pictures in the first slideshow to the right.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

When the road seems dark, God always sends an angel along to light the way. Each trial and tribulation we face in life, teaches us, enlightens us and prepares us for a future day. Your exciting introduction to parenthood has been and will continue to be a wild roller coaster ride for a few more months. One day you will look back and wonder how you ever managed to get thru this ordeal. And one day you'll recognize that had you not had this experience you wouldn't be prepared to help someone else through a dark day in their lives. You and We have been blessed with the addition of MK into our family. A family that will love her and care for her - even if it means oxygen, or feeding tubes for awhile. She is "our" precious baby and she is loved. Keep the faith, she has come a long way in 12 weeks, and don't forget she will need a stocking for Santa to stuff...We pray for all of you daily. Hope to see you soon.
Love Aunt Rhonda

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Heather! We are celebrating every milstone with Morgan Kate. God is so faithful and will see us through each and every situation. Morgan Kate is going to be strong after all she has been through because God is growing her for something great! We are praying for her daily. Love and blessings! Aunt Terry

Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful little girl Heather and Travis. We pray for Morgan Kate's lungs to get strong like the rest of her so she can come home soon. We're thinking of you.

Dave, Brandy, Josie & Wes

Anonymous said...

Morgan Kate has grown so much, I can't believe it - she was so tiny when I saw her right after she was born, she is getting bigger stronger every day. I love your pictures - Just remember you have so many people thinking abouy you and prayer for your family every day. Give Morgan Kate a kiss for me.
Love,
Liz and Tony

Anonymous said...

I love the new pictures. I think she looks like Travis, but with her eyes wide open, I can see a little of you in her too! She is a growing little girl! She is precious and it is so sweet to see her with her daddy. I know it has to make your heart melt just a little:) I hope you all have a great weekend.
Lindsay M

Deni said...

I've been praying for you! In fact, last night as i was rocking Parker, we said our prayers (well I said the prayer, he just stared at me!) and we prayed for our preemie friend Morgan Kate!

Sleeping is a good thing! You are right, that is when she grows and that is when heals!

I wish I had thought to take pictures of Parker as he grew in the hospital, but I didn't start that until we got home! I love it when people do that though!

If you ever need to vent, email me, I am here to listen!

Anonymous said...

Please tell Morgan Kate that her "Aunt" Kelly appreciates the birthday wishes and I blew out all my birthday candles which means my wish for her will come true:) I'm so proud of her weight gain, I'm not even going to recognize her! I love the bible verse for today. Thinking about you guys and love you so much. Thanks again for birthday wishes and cute text, it made my day:) Kelly Jean

THE SPIVEY"S said...

Oh that little face is the most precious thing ever. I love all her facial expressions. What a Kodak moment. I am continuing to prayer for all three of you as you walk through this journey together. I know that God is powerful and he is with each of you along the way. Way to go Morgan Kate and the strength that you have...don't ever let that go.