Saturday, December 6, 2008

After 104 days in the NICU we have a possible date set for HOMECOMING! As of tonight we are looking at Tuesday. Yes, this Tuesday, December 9th -  in just three short days. Aaahhhhhhhhh! Yahoo! We can hardly believe it! Our precious angel is coming home!

There are several things that must occur before Morgan Kate can come home. She was getting a Synagis shot this evening and she has an eye exam on Monday. She also has her car seat test tomorrow. If all goes well with these then Trav and I will spend Monday night ("room in") with her and assume all responsibilities and she will be coming home on Tuesday. 
Synagis shot - a monthly medication used to help protect babies from RSV infection
Car Seat test - Morgan Kate will sit in her car seat for 90 minutes, all monitors will be hooked up and nurses will be watching for any heart rate drops or periods of apnea - if Morgan Kate has any heart rate drops or apnea then she will ride home in a car bed instead of a car seat
"Room in" - Travis and I will spend the night with Morgan Kate and take care of her on our own. We will do feeds, medications, adjust oxygen, etc. If we have any questions or concerns the nurses and doctors will be right outside. 

I think we are both still in a bit of shock. We both know she was coming home soon and we knew it could be this week, but actually hearing the words and getting the real okay was wild! We have been waiting since August 24th to hear that Morgan Kate could come home and it is finally here. Wow! I cannot even begin to put into words how I feel. 

Morgan Kate had a really good day today. She was awake a good bit and slept some too. We tried giving her a bottle at three, but she wasn't interested. Tonight she weighed in at seven pounds and three ounces. She is growing, growing, growing! Her oxygen was at 25ccs for most of the day and at times she was even lower. Good day! 

Please pray that all goes well. Please continue to pray for her growth, the development of her lungs and that she will begin to take more bottles. Please also pray that Travis and I will do a good job and have the strength and courage we need.

I am off to bed....gotta get my sleep now!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coming home, Coming home, Coming home...Morgan Kate is coming home!! Ok...I'm so not a cheerleader, but I can hardly sit in this chair to type this! What WONDERFUL news! The day you've been waiting for. I would tell you to get some sleep tonight but you're probably still floating around the house! I will pray that the next couple of days goes well and that her homecoming will be on Tuesday! The BEST Christmas gift ever! I'm so excited for you, Trav and Morgan Kate! Love you, Kelly

Anonymous said...

That is awesome news Heather! We are rejoicing with you and pray that all will go well. This Christmas will be SO special. Enjoy your excitement. We love you! Aunt Terry

Monica said...

Yahoo! It thrills my heart to read your entry. That is one fantastic Christmas present! I know that all will go well. I cannot wait to share the news with all of those folks at church who have been praying for her. Congratulations! You know where I am if you need anything. I could pick up whatever you might need and sit right outside y'alls door. You know I'll do anything. Have a happy next few days saying goodbye to Baptist hospital. Don't do like me and cry all the way home...
much love,
monica

Jennifer said...

HOME! What a wonderful word to see this morning :) I'm so excited for you all! I hope everything goes well these next few days and that Tuesday is indeed the BIG DAY! Love to all! Jennifer & Geoff

Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL NEWS!!! I am so glad to hear that Morgan Kate's coming home day is almost here! We will continue to pray that things go well and that Tuesday will be the big day. You let us know if there is anything that we can do and we will be HAPPY to do it. Congratulations!
The Herring Family :)

Anonymous said...

We are so excited for everyone for the Homecoming of Morgan Kate!! We will continue to lift each of you up in prayer. May God continue to be your Guiding Light each day as He supplies your every need along this journey with Morgan Kate. Blessings! Stephen and Jane Hartzog

Anonymous said...

That is wonderful news! I am one of those people who you have never met or even talked to but that checks in on and prays for Morgan Kate everyday. God bless you all! I hope when you get a chance you will still post updates so us stalkers can keep up on our little cyber baby!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful Christamas gift.
Enjoy!!!


Carol Herlong

Anonymous said...

WOW Heather. Such wonderful news. After this you can just come to work with me....you will be a pro. I am so very excited for you and Travis....I know your parents are thrilled. I will always be here if you have any questions once you are home.... I had questions myself when I brought Hampton home....the baby nurse needing help with her own...haha...well love you girl...it has been a journey...time to start the next chaper....AT HOME!!!Congratulations....love, Erin, Stuart and Hampy

Anonymous said...

That is fantastic news. I am so happy for your family.
:) Jessica

Anonymous said...

OMG!! Words escape me! I'm soo excited I don't know whether to burst into laughter or tears (maybe a little of both)! We have all the faith that you and Travis will do a wonderful job with Morgan Kate at home. Love you all. Raven & Makoto