Monday, December 22, 2008



I have been holding my breath hoping that these pictures would upload. Some nights the upload works beautifully and other nights it is extremely frustrating. So glad that tonight it was cooperating. *Note: Picture 3 includes another pair of baby legs. I love them!

Last night (Saturday night) I was hoping for a quiet, low key night. A night where we fed Morgan Kate, rocked her for a bit and then put her down for the night. Ha, ha, ha, ha! I can always hope, right? There was nothing quiet or low key about last night. Morgan Kate was awake the entire night again. I think I slept from 2:30 - 3:15. Now when I say she is awake I don't mean she just has her eyes open. Awake all night means that she is very noisy, mostly fussy and wants to do anything other than lay in her bed. We rocked, we sang, we talked, she ate, I ate, we did it all. Oh, and she pulled her OG tube out three different times. When I do try to put her in her bed she starts grunting, then groaning, then crying and then screaming. I try to let her work it out and fuss a little, but when she gets that upset she starts breathing really hard and her oxygen alarm goes off. What do you do? When Travis and I changed shifts around 9am she was still awake and stayed awake until lunch time. I thought babies were supposed to sleep a lot? My baby doesn't. Well, I take that back. It is now 1:30am and she has been asleep since lunch time. She has only been awake for feedings and diaper changes. We try our best to keep her up during the day, but it doesn't work. For the past several nights Travis sleeps and I hang out with Morgan Kate. When morning arrives I find the bed and Travis begins his shift. Maybe, just maybe, tonight will be different. 

Feedings have been going a lot better. She has taken three bottles today and hasn't fought her tube feedings. It is such a relief to have found a formula that is working. I pray that it continues to work. I have read that feeding times are supposed to be bonding times. We have not had that experience up until this point. Tonight while I was feeding Morgan Kate she was so calm and just looking around. It was so very nice!

I think our home health nurse will be stopping by tomorrow. She will just check in, bring supplies and weigh Morgan Kate. We have another doctor's appointment Tuesday morning. 

I can't believe that Christmas is this week. It sure doesn't feel like Christmas.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey heather! no worries... youre not the only one awake right now. i would love to be asleep but i was stupid and my friends and i made a bet that we could watch three movies tonight without falling asleep. haha!

i know you are getting tired but hang in there! love you!
love, maggie

Anonymous said...

They say great things come in small packages...I'd say your package is 8 lbs and the best wrapped (cute Christmas outfits) :) It will be a very Merry Christmas for your family this year! Take in every moment of this season. God has been so generous to us. Love, Lyn & Phala

Anonymous said...

Hey Heather,

As you can see from Maggie's post that little girls always find a way to keep their mom's up :). I know this Christmas is different for you. However, try to focus on the awesome gift God has given you! If we can simply reflect on what Christmas is all about, all the extra is put into prospective. We are praying for all of you. Love and blessings! Aunt Terry

The Leviners said...

Aw, how cute! I love her in her cute outfits! Those baby legs are too precious! I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas! Hopefully you'll be getting something in the mail from us!!
Love and Prayers,
Melissa

Anonymous said...

Morgan Kate looks so cute in her Christmas Outfits. All dressed up for Santa. This is a special Christmas for you guys. I continue to pray for her, you and Travis. So glad that she is able to take her new formula. It's good that you and Travis are taking turns so both of you will not get exhausted at the same time. You and Travis are great parents. All of you are so special to God and to us also. She is growing so fast. Still believing and praying that she will be able to come off of her O2 and will be able to only need her bottles. You and Travis are doing a Great Job. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. We know that you will have a Very Merry Christmas. We love you, Travis and Morgan Kate.
Until we see you guys again.

Love Aunt Jan and MaMa

Hollie Heming said...

Hey Heather! I know you feel like Christmas hasn't come because you can't get out and go see your family in Orangeburg like you want to, but you have the best gift anyone could ask for...MK has come so far and she's taking three bottles a day now! That's a HUGE milestone. I will continue to pray for you all. I hope you enjoy this special season with your new "gift". Love you and miss you.

Anonymous said...

Heather she is picking her head up, what a big girl she is getting to be. I hope you, Travis and Morgan Kate have a Merry Christmas....we are thinking of you.
Love you,
Liz and Tony

Anonymous said...

I love the new pictures! They are precious. Those days with no sleep will pass and you will look back on this time and laugh. I know that it does not feel like that right now. We will continue to pray that Morgan Kate will continue to make progress (and that y'all will get to rest). :)
Wendy H.

Anonymous said...

The pictures of Morgan Kate in her Christmas outfits are too cute. She is precious. Looks like she is getting bigger and bigger each day :) I am so glad to hear about the formula...another answered prayer. I hope y'all get some more sleep tonight. Love and miss y'all...Merry Christmas!

Jessa

Deni said...

I love the outfits and I love those baby legs...great idea!