Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Located in the sidebar to the right is a link for another preemie's blog. Her name is Kayleigh and she is almost six months old. She was born two months before Morgan Kate. When Morgan Kate was first born I was looking on the internet for ANYONE who might have experienced something similar. I needed to see someone else's story and hear about their success, set backs, etc. I came across her blog and also found out that she lives not too far - North Carolina. I have read her blog each night since finding it. You should really take a second to check out her blog if you haven't had a chance to. She has been through so much in her short little life. Her parents have been so strong and courageous and shown such unwavering faith in very difficult times. They received news yesterday that no parent ever wants to hear. They may never be able to bring their baby girl home. My heart breaks for this family. No, I don't know what they are going through exactly, but I do know the fear they are experiencing right now. Please keep them in your prayers. 

Last night Morgan Kate DID sleep the whole night. She was only semi-awake during feedings and diaper changes. I think I am starting to see a pattern. Sleepy night, awake night, sleepy night, awake night. I think that means awake night tonight.

We started Morgan Kate on her new formula last night. She is now taking Nutramigen by Enfamil. It's for babies with allergies. The first two feeds on the formula we saw no change. She was still crying, grunting, groaning, etc. And it still took almost an hour. Talk about discouraging. However, early this morning I started to see a difference. Exciting! As the day has gone by the feeds have gotten easier and easier. No screaming, no crying, just a few grunts and groans every now and then. Ah! Relief for everyone. 

As you all know Kaky left yesterday and Travis had to work today. I was a little very nervous about being here alone with Morgan Kate. I know the "alone" day is coming, but I wasn't quite ready for it today. So, my wonderful brother, Owens, came and spent the day with us. He actually came last night, cooked us dinner and then stayed with me today. Wow! How nice! He didn't touch or hold Morgan Kate, but he did help lug equipment around and anytime an alarm went off he was right there. Brothers are the best!

Speaking of brothers...Kyle's surgery went well. The doctor said the procedure was close to perfect, but there was a lot more damage done to the shoulder than first expected. They sent him home with lots of pain meds and he is in mom's care. She will have him better in no time. 

We have another appointment with our pediatrician Friday morning. We also have an appointment with Morgan Kate's eye doctor later this month. He is the same eye doctor that saw her in the NICU and just wants to do a follow-up exam. The last time he examined her eyes they were still a little immature. This check-up is to make sure things are still progressing well.  

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that things are going well. Hey, I can cook y'all a warm meal if you need one (now that Kaky is gone). Just let me know. I have been following Kayleighs blog since you mentioned it a few weeks back. We will continue to pray for her family as well as for Morgan Kate and you and Travis.
Wendy H.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you are too much of a school teacher when you begin tracking your child's sleeping in patterns. I felt like I was reading my math manual :). Glad things went well, and you do have two awesome brothers! I will pray for Kaleigh. Only 1 and 1/2 days before we can enjoy the holidays! I am so excited. What a special Christmas this will be at the Callahan house! Love you! Aunt Terry

Deni said...

I have been praying for Kayleigh...I am devastated for them!

So glad to hear Morgan Kate is doing better! I love that she is home with you.

You're doing an awesome job!

Anonymous said...

You and Travis are awesome parents. One week and 2 hours and 45 minutes until Christmas. This is a very special Christmas. I was so touched by Kayleigh's story and will lift the Freeman's up in prayer and placed their family on all the prayer list that I have placed you guys on. Hugs and Kisses from Aunt "J" and MaMa "C". Thank you for sharing MK with us. Glad to hear Kyle is doing well. We Love You, Travis and Morgan Kate.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Brothers are great and you have 2 wonderful ones. So glad Owens kept you from being alone today and that Kyle's surgery went well:) I've been keeping up with Kayleigh's blog for awhile now and my heart breaks for them. I hope MK's new formula will do the trick. Enjoy your time together with Trav off of work and please give Morgan Kate a hug and kiss from us! You're in our prayers!! We love you bunches, KL & TL

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear things are going well. Are you still nursing as well as using formula? It is a Godsend to have a wonderful family and especially your Mom. There is nothing like Mom. We can't wait until we can meet MK.
Lots of Love. Aunt Rhonda

Elizabeth Graham said...

tOddly enough, both of my kids had that same sleep/wake pattern. One night they would sleep. The next night they would party hard. She will figure it all out in no time! I use to turn all the lights out in the house at 8pm except a few dim lights here and there. They finally started sleeping through the night when I did that. So glad that MK is doing well with her new formula. Hope she continues to do well and has a great eye exam!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes changing formulas can really help with that bottle struggle. Hopefully things will will continue to improve. She looks so pink and healthy. Treasure this time. Remembering them like this is why mother's think their chilren "can do no wrong."

Anonymous said...

Hey Heather!!!
so i decided to take a break from studying for my ap us history midterm to check facebook (haha) and your blog...

so glad that owens was able to keep you company! thats so sweet!
you def have two awesome brothers!

love you bunches!!!
maggie