Monday, December 15, 2008




Maybe Morgan Kate is not really nocturnal. Last night she was only up from 2-3. Of course we were up every three hours for her feeds, but she slept through most of them. Last night Kaky and I were on duty. Travis went back to work today (he is only back through Wednesday and then he's ours again until January) so he was "off duty" last night. Of course the one night he was "off" she slept fairly well. 

She has been doing some better with the bottle feeding. She has really good days and then not so good days. Saturday night she took two bottles and did a fabulous job. Yesterday she took one bottle really well and didn't do so hot with the second one. I know it's just going to take time and practice. 

These three hour feeds are hard work. By the time we get her feeds ready, her medicine prepared, diaper changed, and actually feed her an hour has gone by. We have two hours to sleep (and that's if you can fall asleep right away) and then it's time again! I know it will get better, it's just an adjustment right now.

Her oxygen has been the same, right at 1/16th of a liter. At times we can turn her down a little. Today she had a little episode while we were feeding her and we actually had to turn her up some. However, once she settled down we were able to turn her down again. 

We are getting a little more used to things. We are figuring out little tricks and ways to save time. And sleeping is getting better too. I guess you just get used to very little sleep. For those of you who know me I am sure this comes as a shocker. I love my sleep!

This past weekend was our first weekend home since August 16th. Every weekend since then either I have been in the hospital or Morgan Kate has been there. It was so nice not having to leave our house, but it also felt kind of awkward, like we were supposed to be somewhere else. I asked Travis if he missed our trips to Palmetto Health Baptist. Of course we don't miss the trips there each and every day, but we sure do miss the people.  

It is still an amazing feeling having Morgan Kate at home. It's so very nice to wake up to her sweet little face each morning. I am constantly reminded each time I look at her of how good God is. He does amazing things and has taken such good care of our little one. We are so very fortunate!

Our home health nurse came by today and said that Morgan Kate looked and sounded great. Good deal! Tomorrow morning we have an appointment with our pediatrician. Please pray that all goes well.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that things are going well at home. I love the new pictures! I can not believe that she is lifting her little head. She is truly amazing!
Wendy H.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear everything is going well at home. Can't wait till we can see Morgan Kate. God's speed.
Love, Aunt Rhonda

Anonymous said...

Hey Heather! Morgan Kate looks like she getting stronger every day. I know that your mom is leaving tomorrow. I know you can do it. I will be praying for you. Love, Aunt Terry

Anonymous said...

Hey friend! I know things are hard and wonderful right now (who knew you could have both feelings at the same time). It amazes me everytime you upload a new picture of Morgan Kate. She really is such a precious little angel! Growing quite literally before all our eyes - you are right God does amazing things! Can't tell you how happy it makes me to see you become the mother you always dreamed that you would be... Love you all - praying for the day I can give her hugs and kisses! Love you lots ~ Raven

Anonymous said...

The pictures are great. She looks like she is doing so well. Being home was just what she needed and you and Travis also. We miss our weekly visits. Just give her lots of Hugs and Kisses for us. We will continue to pray for all of you and we know that God will continue to give you and Travis strength and Kaky too. The bond that you and Travis have developed with Morgan Kate will never be broken. I pray that God will have his healing hands on Kyle just like he has had His Hands on Morgan Kate. We cherish and look forward to the days we can hold Morgan Kate.God is truly "Amazing". How people do not comprehend The Miracles that He performs and how His Hands are how our hands are to Morgan Kate. Nothing is Too Big or Too Little for Him. I pray that God will give you, Travis and Morgan Kate a special touch. Know that He will never leave you. We love you.
Love, "Aunt J" and "MaMa C".

Hollie Heming said...

It is weird how people who love their sleep (you and me both) can get used to less. I promise it gets easier. You'll be amazed at what you can do on little to no sleep. It's all worth it when you look into your baby's sweet little face. Do you cry every time you look at her? I do at least once a day when I look at Will. Did you ever think you could love someone so much after knowing them for such a short time?! Love you and miss you!

Anonymous said...

Wow - look at Morgan Kate bobbling that little head up! Thank you SO much for your updates & pictures. I don't feel like my day is complete until I check on yall.

I'm sure Kyle will do fine through his surgery tomorrow and won't need Kaky's undivided attention for too long. You ALL are still in my prayers.

I'm so sorry you had such a rough start to parenthood, but you certainly seem to find joy in the trials - just like God wants you to! :-)
Love & Joy,
Kathy C.

Anonymous said...

It was bittersweet going to work Sunday night. After 15 weeks of seeing/talking to you at the hospital, I was sad you were gone...but so HAPPY that you are home with your sweet baby girl! I hope things are getting a little easier for you and Travis. I promise you that the sleep deprivation will get better!!! Please let me know if you need anything:)

Anonymous said...

that last comment was me, Laura :)

THE SPIVEY"S said...

Oh how I understand the new sleeping patterns...ha. Christian is now sleeping every 3 hours and then we are up feeding. I get to do all the feedings (breastfeeding) while I look over at Shaun just sleeping away. The best part is waking him up to do diaper duty...ha. I give Christian what he wants and Shaun gets to go the dirty work! He is going to love me. I know that everyone has told you this but things do get better. We are not adjusting to life with a little one; however, there are days when I just sit and cry because I don't know what to do or what he wants. I know that you are the best parent that there is and I just see so much of you in me. It is so crazy how we are so much alike. As I read you blogs everyday, I think...Oh my gosh that is so me too (with your feelings). Thanks so much for keeping us informed still because I love reading about Morgan Kate and her days. I just can't wait to meet her again. Life is so wonderful.