Saturday, January 24, 2009

A few firsts at five months.

That's right. Our baby girl is five months old. Crazy, isn't it? I was talking to my mom earlier and I was telling her that I can't believe that five months ago this precious baby came into the world weighing only one pound and twelve ounces. I was so incredibly scared that day and I still am at times, but she continues to amaze me. 

Speaking of amazing. Check out some of Miss Morgan Kate's firsts. I have been teary eyed all day long.

Our visit with pulmonologist went very well yesterday. We have discontinued the inhaled steroid and...NO OXYGEN DURING THE DAY. Yahoo. Amazing, amazing, amazing. There were times when I actually thought she might wear her nasal cannula to college or on her first date. God is so amazing and created these organs called lungs that continue to grow and heal for years. Isn't it wonderful? For the first time in five months Morgan Kate has no tubes, no wires, or anything else on that precious little face. She has done exceptionally well without the O2 and she only has to wear it at night. 

After many, many weeks in Mommy and Daddy's room, Morgan Kate spent her first night in her own room and in her big girl bed (the crib). It was incredible and all night long I kept asking myself, "Why in this world did we ever think she needed to sleep in our room?" For goodness sake, she spent the first 107 days of her life in little room all to herself. Last night Kaky stayed with us and she slept in the guest room which is right beside Morgan Kate. Our walls are paper thin and you can hear anything. I'm serious, from that room you can even hear her breathing. Tonight we will stay in the guest room and will continue to stay there until she is off of all her monitors. We have monitors in our bedroom that allow us to hear what is going on, but I am so afraid that in our lack of sleep we might not wake up. So sleeping right next door to her will be perfect. She did awesome last night and we pray that tonight will be the same.

Today I was able to "catch" my girl smiling. She has been smiling for weeks, but I am never quick enough to get it on camera. Tonight it happened. Enjoy!

And for the grand finale...
After five long months GDaddy got to hold his baby girl's baby girl for the very first time. Talk about melting your heart. Again, simply amazing! As of yesterday the only people that have held MK are Travis, my mom and myself. We aren't kidding when we say that we aren't having any visitors or allowing others to hold her. We do NOT want her getting sick! GDaddy has had clean bill of health and we made sure his hands were clean, clean, clean. 

19 comments:

Jason and Talyse said...

That's awesome news! We'll contine to pray for her progress!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic!!! All of those wonderful "firsts"!! Her smile is so cute! It is hard to believe she is 5 months old already--sometimes the days (and nights!) go so slow, but the months really fly by! Be sure to enjoy every minute!! :) Jenny

Anonymous said...

Why couldnt your dad hold her before ?

Terry Sowell said...

What an amazing day! So happy for Gdaddy! I can't wait for my turn. I just hope we don't have to wait 5 more months!!! I am proud of your for counting your blessings. They are certainly many. Love you! Aunt Terry

Anonymous said...

Those pics MELT my heart. I know your dad's skipped a beat today! And what a wonderful blessing that she gets to be off the O2 during the day! She is such an amazing little girl with the cutest smile. Wonder if she's going to get your dimple? Happy 5 months old Morgan Kate!!! With love, Kelly Jean

Monica said...

What fabulous news! It doesn't seem like 5 months have gone by. That only means that spring is just around the corner and then summer. I am praying for you all. Much Love!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear your good news. I have been keeping up with Morgan Kate's progress and it is amazing how far she has come! God is so good!! I will continue to keep you all in my prayers.

Cristy Jowers (PHB-NICU)

Liz Mitchum said...

Yeah!!! How exciting! I know you are thrilled she is off the oxygen during the day. MK has come so far, you must be so proud.
Take Care.
Love,
Liz

Hollie Heming said...

WOW! SO awesome...It is amazing how far she has come in such a short time. I can't wait for the day we can meet her face to face. She's a beautiful girl.

Anonymous said...

Oh My Gosh!!!! That big smile looks just like Travis' baby picture when he was smiling.I put that picture of Travis next to the one you have posted and it is so precious. That little bashful smile that Travis had has been inherited by your little baby girl. She is so precious. All the pictures melted my heart but especially the one when she was smiling and the one with G-daddy. You can tell that the precious little baby girl melted G-daddy's heart. We miss all of you and hope it will be soon that we will be able to spend some time with you guys. It is incredible to know that she is already 5 months old. God is so good and has a purpose for Morgan Kate. We will continue to pray for her progress and know that soon (before she goes to college or her first date) she will not have to wear any tubes. Morgan Kate has done so well and she owes part of that to her loving and nurturing parents the rest to God. MaMa's heart was touched by the pictures also she sends her love as I also send my love.
Love,
Aunt Jan

Corrisa said...

What great news!!!!!! Morgan Kate is so beautiful...you better not let her out of the house for the next 20 years:)
We miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news! God is good! You are truly blessed! :)
Wendy H.

Anonymous said...

I'm SO excited to see those precious little cheeks without the "dots"! She is SO beautiful! You all remain in my prayers and I pray that soon you will be able to sleep normal hours!
Love,
Kathy C.

Anonymous said...

I have an ear to ear smile and tears in my eyes!

The Leviners said...

I am so excited for you and Travis! This has been a long time coming and I know that you are enjoying every minute of it! Morgan Kate continues to be in our daily thoughts and prayers- she's just so precious! We love you all and I know that the time is getting close for when I can hold her!
Love and Prayers,
Melissa

Anonymous said...

WOW! Five months is hard to believe! Morgan Kate looks even more beautiful without those tubes covering her precious face. We are all thrilled with the progress she has made and will continue to make. Look how far she has come in 5 months! UNBELIEVABLE! Love y'all. Thanks for posting new pics :)

Jessa

Anonymous said...

What happy happy news!!!

She is soooo beautiful. Her smile melts my heart. She is a doll.

I am so happy for all the good news!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Heather, that was a great blog and I am sure you are so happy! She is just precious and the new pictures show just how much she looks like Travis. I am sure Travis is a proud papa. It is great to see how well she is doing and hopefully real soon, we can all meet her! I pray for continued progress, take care.
Lindsay M

Anonymous said...

Heather---I am so happy for you and Travis. Morgan Kate looks beautiful with and without the tubes but she looks especially lovely without the tubes :)

Jennifer