Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Four hours of uninterrupted sleep because my husband took the the "early part" of night shift.

A swaddled baby. Now that's new.

No OG tube.

Excellent appointment this morning with Dr. G.

Two ounces GAINED.

A nap this afternoon that actually helped Mommy take an hour nap as well. 

Pretty awesome day if you ask me. And I am praying for more of this kind.

Morgan Kate actually slept last night. What a feeling. She truly slept the entire night, except for the times we had to feed her. She would eat, make a few noises and then she was off to sleepy town once again. She even let me swaddle her.

Little background info about swaddling. Some people claim that babies don't have memories and that they won't remember the pain they go through as children. Ha! I say those people are wrong. One of the reasons eating is so hard for Morgan Kate is because she remembers the pain her reflux caused her. She remembers how uncomfortable it is to have the OG tube in. She also remembers that while in the NICU she had to be swaddled while wearing the CPAP. She would give the CPAP a fit. Arms flailing, legs moving, hands grabbing. It was rough. The only way to tame her was to swaddle her. Since coming home she screams if I try to swaddle her. She gets so mad and so red and I just end up tossing the idea. However, last night and the night before she has let me swaddle her and it has made a huge difference. I think she still remembers, but she's just giving Mommy a second chance. 

We have not had to use the OG since Sunday when we had our little episode. Since that time we have been on all bottles again. We have also come to the conclusion that maybe her irritatibility was caused from the inhaled steroid. We have since discontinued it and things have gotten a lot better.

Our appointment this morning went very well. She weighed in at eight pounds and twelve ounces. I was so excited. A weight gain even with some pretty rough "non-eating" days. Dr. G says she looks and sounds great and we are to return next Wednesday.

Today...so far, so good. Bottle feeding is going. It's not terrific, but it's going. And nap time? Nice. She has already had a really good nap. I was in the midst of doing laundry and writing thank you notes and then I just decided to ditch both and take a nap as well. An hour later I feel nice and refreshed and I may even start dinner.

Wow. I love these good days. 


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're having a good day and that Morgan Kate's appointment went well and she gained. It's always a blessing to hear good news! You need to be napping when she's napping so you can keep your energy up...you do not need to be doing thank-you's; clothes on the other hand guess you have to do those:) Praying for ya'll and more days like today:) Love you bunches!

Jennifer said...

Gotta love it when you get 2 good days in a row!!!!!! Glad to hear the swaddling is going better! We're still praying for you guys. I hope you have many, many more good days! Yay for weight gain!!! BTW, I read Babywise too, and you have to take some of what he says with a grain of salt :) Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Go Morgan Kate and I am proud of mom for taking a nap too!!! I continue to keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Lots of Love,
Wendy S.

THE SPIVEY"S said...

That is awesome. I am so glad that you had a great night and things were going well. It does make things a whole lot easier when they cooperate doesn't it...ha. I know when Christian does things that are wonderful for me, I have an excellent day. Hope things continue to go well.

Liz said...

Your page looks soooo good!!!Usually I am reading from my blackberry and occasionally i look at it on my computer. I haven't seen it in soooo long and it looks great!! I am glad that Morgan Kate is back to bottle feeding. I cannot wait until she is healthy enough for the world and we can meet her!!!She is absolutely beautiful!! Keep up the good work super mom!!!

Liz

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!2 Awesome days. So glad that things are going better. Morgan Kate's visit with the Pediatrician was awesome as well. You know it is from the AWESOME job you and Travis are doing to raise, teach, comfort your little precious daughter. Glad Mommy is taking naps too!!! You, Heather, are such a precious daughter and a precious Mommy. Travis, you, are a loving son and a special Daddy. I love you both and Morgan Kate so much. All of you have learned so much in the last 5 months and there is more to learn in the months and years to come. I have no doubt you guys will continue to do an awesome job. Being a parent is not always an easy job but it is one that God bestows upon us and He gives us the strength to do what we need to do even when we think we do not have an ounce of strength left. You, Heather and Travis are doing such an awesome job taking care of your Little girl's needs and protecting her. Thank you for the opportunity to share Morgan Kate with us. Again we love all of you and send hugs, kisses etc. until we see you again. We will continue to pray for things to continue to progress wonderfully.

Love all of you lots,

Aunt J and MaMa

amanda pyle said...

Yea for Morgan Kate! So glad she's had a good couple of days. Also so very happy about the weight gain:) Keep up the good work MK! Still saying lots of prayers...hope all goes well with GI doctor in the morning. Love to you all.
AA
PS: I really want to have another "peek" at Morgan Kate through the window:)

Terry Sowell said...

Awesome!!! Take care of yourself as well as Morgan Kate. She may get to see a snow!!! If it does, you will need to take pictures since it may not snow again when she is a child. God is so faithful as is very evident every day with MK. We praise Him for her progress and continue to lift her up in prayer. Love, Aunt Terry

Anonymous said...

yay! im so glad things are going well! thats awesome! love you!
maggie :)

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear that things are going better. I know that you will have more good days to come!
Wendy H

Martha Compton said...

Heather-
Just saw your comment on our blog. I don't know if you realized, but I left you a comment here a couple of days ago. I'm glad Morgan Kate had a great day. If you ever want to email me to talk to a fellow SC preemie mom, feel free. marthacompton@gmail.com

I hope you have many more days like this one.

The Leviners said...

So glad your day has been better! I hope you have many more to come! Yeah, for the good doctor's report! I'm hoping for a great day for you tomorrow!
Love and Prayers,
Melissa

katiebeth said...

way to go MK!!! It's about time you give your Mommy and Daddy a little break!

Anonymous said...

hello,
you visited my daughters alexandrea's websight. Your little one is beautiful and I also look forward to chatting with you
I did send you an email.
or you can email me at killen777@msn.com
becky