Friday, April 3, 2009

Morgan Kate has started spinning. That's right. Spinning. When we put her down at night we lay her one way and when we return for one of our middle of the night feedings she has spun herself in a complete different direction. It is so funny and so precious at the same time. And a little worrisome because I never really know where she will end up. Her favorite spot to "spin" to is at the very top of the crib. I am a little disappointed in myself because I haven't caught it on camera. But I promise that I will be working on it. 

Not only is Morgan Kate spinning these days, but she seems to be on somewhat of a "food strike". I say somewhat because it doesn't happen at all feedings. For example, today at 1pm she just was not interested. It was like pulling teeth to get her to eat and it took forever. I eventually just gave up. Then at 5pm and again at 8pm she ate like a champ! Took the entire bottle in less than fifteen minutes. This has been going on for about a week now. I know some of you are saying, "Don't worry, sometimes babies do this." I know. I know that sometimes babies do this. I know that it usually doesn't last long. But I also have to remember that Morgan Kate is slightly different. The "typical" four month old takes between 24-27 ounces of formula a day. Morgan Kate only takes 18 ounces. We have tried feeding her more, but she just won't take it. So far 18 ounces has been enough. She is gaining good weight and things have been progressing. However, if she stops eating or goes on "strike" then she's eating even less that 18 ounces and that isn't good. See why I am a little worried? Please say a little prayer that this eating thing will be resolved very soon. 

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I know you are always going to worry and you have every right too!!! If she's still gaining weight I would try not to worry though :) Allie has days that she can't get enough to eat and then has some days where she hardly wants to eat at all...they're fickle!

Heather said...

Hi Heather (I love your name). I am a mother of two little girls and have been following your blog for a few months now. I have never made a comment until now but wanted to let you know how special Miss Morgan Kate is. She is such a little cutie pie.

As far as her eating goes, it is very easy rto worry about it. I have two tiny little girls and have worried about it a lot. What I have learned is that sometimes they just aren't hungry (just like we are as adults) and don't want to eat. Morgan Kate won't starve herself. Just like you said, she downed the othe two bottles no problem. My youngest just turned 1 and is only 16 lbs. She is thriving and just gains weight slow. I know that it is easier said than done, but don't worry yourself sick over her eating. You will know if there is something wrong. Take care and thank you for sharing your Morgan Kate with us.

Heather

The Q family said...

Oh, I know how you feel. My oldest was a tiny munchkin(failure to thrive and that diagnosis made me feel awful!), I measured calorie intake for over a year. He was just tiny, he still is, at 6 he only weighs 35lbs! Then my twins were preemies and I am still conscious about their weight gain and calorie intake and they are almost 2! I know how hard it is not to worry, my husband would say I was a bit neurotic! I wish I could have stopped worrying though, because I have learned that what they say is true, babies have a perfect switch in their bodies to take in exactly what they need, when they need it! They are in perfect tune with their needs, it really is a miracle!