Wednesday, September 9, 2009

At four this morning I wasn't sure how the day was going to go.

Morgan Kate usually sleeps through the night. Twelve solid hours. However, the last few weeks she has been waking up once or twice a week around four or five. This morning it was four. I know that most would say, "Just let her cry it out and she will learn to sleep." Well, Dr. G said that if MK wants a bottle in the middle of the night then we should give her one. She needs calories and that's one sure way to get it done. And when she is awake and crying at four in the morning, so am I. I can't hardly continue sleeping when I hear her crying over the monitor. So I proceeded to warm up a bottle and head to her room.

Usually I change her, feed her and put her back to bed. By the time I crawl back into my own bed she is fast asleep again. Usually. This morning was unusual. I changed her, fed her and realized she was wide awake. Her eyes were wide open and she was looking all around. I rocked her for a few and then put her back in the crib. I then listened to her cry for twenty minutes on the monitor. I went back in and rocked her a little more and she fell asleep. I thought. I put her back in the crib and as I was heading to my bed the crying started. After twenty more minutes of this and the fact that it was now a little after five in the morning I head back to her room, pick her up and she and I proceed to sleep the rest of the night/morning in the recliner.

She was off to dreamland in no time. Mommy on the other hand had some trouble. I kept wondering what was going on with her. I kept hearing noises outside. I kept making "To Do" lists in my head. I kept thinking of new ideas for the blog. Anyway, it was a while before I actually fell asleep. I vaguely remember Travis kissing me goodbye. The only thing I do remember is waking up and looking at the clock. It was 8:32 and we were both still asleep and our early interventionist was due to arrive at 9:00. MK needs a breathing treatment, a diaper change, and breakfast. Oh, and I desperately need to brush my teeth and take a shower. Twenty-eight minutes to accomplish all of this.

So as you can see I wasn't real sure how the rest of the day was going to play out. Usually when the morning starts off rough the rest of the day tends to follow suit. But, today that didn't happen. It actually turned out to be a really, really good day. No, I didn't win the lottery. Nor did I get any earth shattering news. I can't really explain or even point out the one moment that made it such a good day. It was just a good day.

As I was eating dinner tonight I was watching Morgan Kate. I couldn't stop smiling or thinking about how blessed I am. I have such a terrific life. I have an absolutely amazing hubby. A beautiful baby girl. Great family and friends. And two lovable (most of the time) doggies. I was also watching MK and thinking about how extraordinary she is. Today she has been crawling up a storm. Everywhere. All of the time. Last night Jenny commented on the blog and said, "Hang on, Heather -- your house will NEVER be the same." Boy, was she right. Our PT saw her crawling today for the first time and even she got teary eyed. MK has also been trying to pull up on things and pulled up to a stand several times during PT. Amazing, amazing. And on the food front things are going so well. She is loving some of her new options and she does so well feeding herself. I just love watching her pick up the little pieces, put them in her mouth and start chewing. It seems like such a trivial thing, but to me it's HUGE. So big.

So the day may have started off kind of rocky, but it didn't end that way at all. In the words of Ice Cube, "Today was a good day."

A few pics of Miss MK. Oh, and total side note. About five minutes after finding out that we were having a girl I began to dream of bows and dresses and pink. I don't know why I dreamed about bows. I always hated wearing bows myself. But, I just knew or I thought my little girl would wear them and that I would love it. Fast forward to today. I think I want her to wear bows. I'm not really sure anymore. I mean I think they are nice and look super cute on other babies. But they always seem too big on MK and it probably doesn't help that she really doesn't have enough hair to actually wear one. But I put aside my "wishy-washy" feelings about bows and had her wear one today. Today she was wearing very neutral colors and I needed to make a trip to Wal-Mart. While there I didn't want anyone mistaking her for a little boy, so I made her wear this bow. She didn't even know it was there, but I did and it helped. No one confused her. Thank goodness.


Kelly Lee said...

Bow or no bow, she is just too cute! I'm so glad you had a wonderful day! Who needs to win the lottery when you have all the things money can't buy:)
Love you bunches!

Elizabeth Graham said...

I think that bow looks precious on her! MK is doing amazing. Do you realize how many 1 year olds that were born on time are still working on crawling and pulling up? She is doing SO WELL!

Megan Thiel said...

Yay! Great job on the crawling, pulling to a stand, and feeding yourself, Morgan Kate! We know those are huge steps! I feel the same way about bows! I was so excited for a girl and we have a ton, but I don't usually put them in Kayley's hair either. I think Morgan Kate looks adorable!

Hollie Heming said...

Wow! Quoting Ice Cube now?? haha!
I am so excited for you! Your baby girl is making all kids of progress. Isn't it amazing to just watch them? I was looking at Will last night and thinking how one year ago he was so tiny and now he's a "toddler". We went through a stage like you are describing. It lasted about 2-3 weeks. I'll give you the advice everyone game me..."This too shall pass". HA! And it does. Love you!

jan kessler said...

She is so cute with or without a bow. Love you guys lots.

Aunt J

jan kessler said...

Buy her lots and lots of bows.

Aunt J

Allison Babb said...

In my world bows are "the bigger the better." I never was a bow person but I LOVE Kennedy to wear them and she usually doesn't pull at them. I attach them to headbands since we have a lack of hair too. Let me know if you need me to make you a bow to match anything:)