Thursday, February 11, 2010

As the mother of a twenty-five weeker, I would be lying if I said I didn't worry about Morgan Kate's growth and development. I do. Some days I worry a lot. Some days I worry a little. Some days I am consumed by it. And some days it never crosses my mind.

There are days like Monday at speech where worry is at the forefront of my mind. Where I leave, immediately get in my car, call Travis and begin to cry. I cry because it breaks my heart to see Morgan Kate struggle. Even if it's just a little. I cry because I do worry about whether it will all click and when it will all click. And I even cry because I get tired of people asking me, "How old is she?" and then followed by, "Oh, well she should be walking, maybe even running, right?" or "So how many words does she say?" or "Is she talking up a storm?" Seems like simple, easy questions, but they aren't always simple and easy for me.

And while there are some days like Mondays, there are many more days like today. Days where Morgan Kate blows me away. Amazes me. Days where I immediately pick up the phone, call Travis and can hardly speak because I am so ecstatic. Days where I know it's all going to come together and it's going to come together in her time. Because that's just the way it is.

There are days like today where Morgan Kate just all of a sudden stands up in the middle of the floor unassisted, unsupported and starts walking. Yesterday she was pulling up on things and then walking. Today she just stands all by herself and walks. AMAZING.


12 comments:

MJP said...

Heather, I could have written the first part of this post! I understand exactly what you are feeling. When I saw MK get up, walk, and clap her hands I was so happy--for her and for you and Travis. Seeing MK grow and develop gives me such hope. I'm so happy I found this blog. Tell MK to go, go, go and that there's a lady in Connecticut pulling for her!

The Bridges said...

She is amazing, and she will do things at her own time! Isn't that what girls always do!! Keep smiling!

Kelly Lee said...

Ha...I agree with the Bridges...don't we girls do it at our time. That is wonderful and so cute how she's clapping, not only can she walk but she's got some good core muscles:). I think we've found the next cheerleader in our family. Love you guys!

Roddey said...

Heather, that is precious!!! She is doing such a wonderful job, all children are different when they start doing things.. Standing up from the floor and walking and clapping-that is huge!!! So excited for yall!

Heather said...

What a BIG girl. I love how she claps when you cheer for her. Too cute!

The Leviners said...

YIPPEE! Can't view video from work but will tonight when I get home!!! So excited for you and MK!!

The Fricks said...

GREAT JOB MK!

And don't worry about WHEN Morgan Kate will do things. She will do them in HER time. I have learned (having 2) that each child is different. At first I would compare Wes to Josie and be upset that he was a little "slower". But he gets it...in HIS time. And MK will get it in HER time. And you'll always have those mom's that try to compare or judge. Until they've walked in your shoes, they will never understand the pride you have when your child reaches a milestone...no matter when it is...

Oh, and Wes said he would help hold MK's hand and help her walk on Valentine's Day :)

Anonymous said...

YAY!!!would love to see ya'll again soon.
ERIN~HAMPTON~AND BAYLOR

harrysmama2008 said...

That is just awesome. she will get it and do things in her own time. she is one amazing little girl. Go Morgan Kate go.

Anonymous said...

Go MK! You are such a big girl! WOW - that was so cute - she is precious! We are so proud of Morgan Kate - Heather I know there are hard days, but these days - make everything worth it! Can't wait to see you in a few weeks!
Liz, Tony and Neeley

Justin and Jessica Jones said...

What a proud mama you must be. You are right not to compare her. I think it is only a natural thing to do. That is why we all by those books that say what to expect each month. But, MK is a miracle baby, and she will progress on to new things when she is ready. Sometimes that will be when Mama is ready too, and sometimes it won't. I have definietly seen a difference in the progression of different skills between my 2 babies and they were raised exactly the same. So, I really think there is no rhyme or reason to it all. We just have to love them and do the best we can to be supportive. And, I know you are doing a fabulous job in both of those areas.

Devon said...

yea, so amazing!!! glad to know preemie growth and development is a common worry we have....morgan kate is just amazing!