Monday, February 8, 2010

Each day is more and more exciting, not only because Morgan Kate growing and changing, but because each day I get a different glimpse at her little big personality. Today was a great example.

Our day started with speech. Speech proves to be difficult for Morgan Kate. Let me explain. Actually speaking and using language and making sounds is not difficult for Morgan Kate (usually), but being attentive and staying focused is. She is quite the wiggle worm during our speech sessions. Some days are much, much better than others, but today was not one of those days. Today was a day of squirming, not wanting to sing, not wanting to play with toys and not wanting to drink from a cup. She was more interested in playing with a roll of paper towels and picking up every little speck of dirt/lint/paper that was on the floor.

When we tried to get her to sing or play in the mirror, she would squirm around and arch her back. When we tried to get her to sit in her chair and drink from her cup, she threw it across the room. When we tried to play with different toys, she played with things that are not considered toys. And while I should have been helping redirect her and telling her "No", I found myself just watching her. Watching her and smiling inside at her little big personality. Now, I did step in when she threw the cup across the room and milk went everywhere, but mostly I just watched. (And really, that's all I am supposed to do during speech.) I know that when she's fifteen and acting that way I won't feel the same or just sit back and watch, but today I did. In a way, I'm glad she's feisty and strong-willed and determined. Again, I know I won't like it when she's older, but for now I do.


Later today we had physical therapy. Now, this is where Morgan Kate shines. She loves physical therapy. She loves her therapist. And she works hard. Extremely hard. Matter of fact, when her therapist arrived today she was napping, but the minute she heard her voice she popped up and was ready to go. Oh, and my so called "non-walker", yeah, she took twenty steps today. And she did that several times. Yep, the same little girl who won't walk for her mommy or daddy, unless they make her, was walking up a storm for her PT. Now, there was some motivation, food for example, but still she was walking everywhere. And walking like she had been doing it forever.

Again, it just goes to show that she does things when she wants to do them and in her own time. Another side of her personality. And like most people, she too is driven by food.

Speaking of food, she has just recently starting really sharing her food. Prior to, she would offer it to you and then jerk it away. But lately, she has been offering it to you and actually giving it to you. It's so, so sweet and she just has the biggest smile when she does it. She is so loving and so caring and I just love that she wants to share.


Smiling at her daddy.

She also loves books. And I couldn't be happier. I never really liked books until I was much older, and I am so glad she is learning to like books now at such an early age. The same wiggle worm that can't sit still during speech will sit in my lap for what seems like forever just reading books and pointing at the pictures. My heart just melts. This morning I found her in her crib "reading" a book. She had the book open and she was talking up a storm. It was almost as if she was reading to her baby doll. Sweet, sweet girl.


So, my babe might be strong-willed, determined and a little of "I do what I want to do", she's also quite the heart-melter. She's sweet, she's loving, she's snuggly, she loves to share and I am completely in love with her and her little big personality.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Morgan Kate will do what she wants and when she wants. She sounds like she is just fine. Megan does so much around us and when we want her to perform in front of her grandparents...she won't.

Keith

Kathy Hardison said...

Strong willed and determined - can't imagine where she gets that from. May that "little" personality keep on shining in a big way! LY&MY

Newman Family said...

Brandon had the same problem last week at speech. He has speech today so I am crossing my fingers that he has a better time. Last week he was more interested in climbing up onto the couch and jumping on it and would have a tantrum if I took him off. I think it is their strong willed personalities that has gotten them where they are today.

The mom of 4 monkeys! said...

Yep, she's a toddler, LOL! What an amazing gift from God, MK is "normal"!

MJP said...

MK has quite the personality! So glad to hear that things are going well with the therapy sessions.

Hollie Heming said...

I can't imagine where she gets her determination!! (WINK). No surprise either. If she wasn't determined and strong, she wouldn't be a thriving 25-weeker!! I love the picture of you reading to her. That's my favorite time of day...when Will is ready for bed and he will sit still for a few minutes and just listen so attentively. AH! Love you and miss you!

Justin and Jessica Jones said...

I think we need to start calling her Miss MK. She needs a title with all that sassiness! Love it...this is coming from one strong-willed girl mama to another. Lord help us when they are teenagers!