Tuesday, September 14, 2010

When I was much, much younger my mom had the hardest time finding clothes that would fit me. Apparently when I was younger I was tall and slender. It was hard to find pants long enough that also fit in the waist and legs. Either pants were too short and fit perfectly everywhere else. Or, pants were the perfect length and fell right off of me. (These days all of my pants are too long and won't button. My tall and slender days are over and I'm now in my short and round days.) Luckily my mom ended up finding slim fit pants and all my fashion problems were solved. Until now. I am now having those same fashion problems with my baby girl.

Case in point.

Sunday I decided to take a little time to shop. Morgan Kate was napping and Trav was watching football. Good time to slip out for an hour or so. I made my way straight to Old Navy, as I had heard they were having super sales. I spent a few minutes looking at things for myself and then proceeded to the children's section. There were so many cute things. Oh. My. Goodness. Cute, cute, cute things. Shopping for Morgan Kate is usually so much fun and I sometimes have to stop myself before things get out of hand. However, today was a little different.

As I was looking through the clothes and trying to determine which size to buy (which has always been an issue for me), I noticed their tags. Let me back up for one quick second and just say that I have never been able to go into any store and buy the clothing size that correlates with MK's age. At twelve months of age, we weren't picking out twelve month clothes. Instead we were looking through six month clothes. Until recently she was usually right about six months behind in clothes sizes. These days, we are almost an entire year behind in size. And that brings me to my most recent dilemma. Old Navy's 12 - 18 month clothes read: 29- 31" and 22-27 lbs. Their 18 - 24 month clothes read: 31-33" and 27 - 30 lbs. Morgan Kate happens to be 31.5 inches tall, meaning length wise she would need the 18-24 month clothes. And she does. Almost all of the 12 - 18 month clothes are too short. However, she only weighs 22.5 lbs, meaning she just hits the weight requirements for the 12 - 18 month clothes. The 18 - 24 month clothes just fall straight off of her. It's ridiculous.

Anyway, I realize that I could just shop somewhere else and I could find clothes that would most likely fit. But, I love Old Navy and I love their clothes and I just think their children's stuff is super cute. I guess for now I'll just stick to their dresses - they do seem to work!

And by the way, I am laughing at myself right now for even writing all of this. Of all the things I have going on right now and need to give time and thought power to, and I am caught up in this so -called fashion dilemma. Oh well, at least it makes me laugh! Hopefully you get a chuckle too!

7 comments:

Newman Family said...

I have the same problem with Brandon. He falls into 18-24 month clothes for his length but for his weight he is in 12-18 month clothes (weighs 22 pounds, 13 ounces). The 12-18 month clothes look like capris on him though. And unfortunately I can't put him into dresses like you can for Morgan Kate. So instead I have to buy the larger size for length and have my mom take in all of his clothes.

Devon said...

adustable waist?

i have the same issue with riley...at 4 years old she is just 30 pounds....she is crazy tall, pretty average. but the adjustable waist is a lifesaver for me!

Tasha said...

I have the same problem too! Brycen is 3 but he only weighs 25lbs...it definitely makes it difficult to buy clothes. I don't know if Old Navy girl clothes are the same way but all the boy paints start having the cinch waist at 2T. It's extremely helpful for me because then I can buy the size he needs for length and just cinch the waist to the last button hole :)

Allie said...

I was just in Old Navy last night shopping for K. Frist I must say I bought her the CUTEST hat ever! She looks like a pimp. Secondly I thought she would be an 18-24 month jean at least by this winter. They were SO long and baggy in the butt. The 12-18 were tight and just a little long. I went with tight and a little long:) Hopefully she doesn't pick up too many LBs this fall!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

My son was always off the charts in height, but very low in weight. He's still the same way. My solution? Adjustable waist pants-you can get them at Old Navy and The Childrens Place. He can't wear pants/shorts that don't adjust. Go for the length you need, and just adjust the waist!
In your case, just stick to cute dresses and tights. ;)

Jason and Talyse said...

I understand completely! I've always had a problem shopping for pants for myself, and now that Karyssa's legs are getting longer, pants are becoming a problem for her too! Mine are almost 21 months and just now growing into 12month stuff.

Brent and Kristen said...

Just thought you'd like to know, Asher has on a pair of Old Navy shorts right now. He'll be 21 months in 3 days. They're (the shorts) 9 months and they fit just fine! : )