Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I am a teacher. A fifth grade teacher. And I enjoy teaching for many reasons. One, I love learning. From a very early age I told my parents that I was going to be a student as long as I could. I feel like being a teacher enables me to do that on a daily basis. I am constantly learning. Two, as cliche as it may sound, I do enjoy working with children. Most days. I enjoy having conversations with them and watching as the little wheels and gears in their heads turn. I love when their little light bulbs light up and I live for those "Ah-hah" moments. Three, I enjoy teaching. I truly enjoy sharing my learning with others. I enjoy teaching about our past and where it all began. I love reading books and sharing stories. I even enjoy teaching long division and addition and subtraction of fractions. (I told you, I'm always learning.) And four, it's no big secret, I also don't mind having my summers off. I enjoy the break. I need the break. The breaks keeps me going. 


My "summer break" officially starts next Friday, but for the past two days I have gotten a little preview of those warm days. I have been able to turn off my alarm clock. Stay in my PJs until lunch time. Eat breakfast and lunch with my baby girl. Play and read with my baby girl. Nap with my baby girl. And oh, how I have missed those naps. While all of this sounds so delightful, there is a downside. I'm getting this preview because I am at home with a sick baby girl. She has a virus of some sort. A virus that brings fever, coughing, sore throat, irritability and sleepless nights. She is just not herself and it breaks my heart. And while I absolutely hate with every ounce of my being that she is sick, I am thoroughly enjoying our time at home together and I am longing even more for "summer break". 

4 comments:

Kathy Hardison said...

I'm ready for it to now that I have Fridays off :) LY&MY

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

I hope she feels better soon!
Enjoy your summer break!

Jason and Talyse said...

I hope she's feeling better! And I hope to spend a little time with you guys during your break!

Meesh Hays said...

Do not forget to add "visiting the SJP pool with teaching buddies" to your list of summer to-dos.