Thursday, June 23, 2011

Some of my most favorite blogs are the ones about home projects, especially any that involve before and after photos. I'm always looking for ways to improve our home, indoor and out. I've accomplished a good bit this summer already, but still have lots to do. I would share before and after pictures of my own, but let's be honest, my house is not always in the condition for pictures. Just ask my mom, grandmother and aunt who stopped by earlier this week. Talk about a mess. Toys all over the den floor. Cushions off of the couch because the covers were being washed. Dishes in the sink, bed unmade, cups lying around everywhere. I'm sure they thought they had walked into the aftermath of some natural disaster. I'll be the first to say that I am not the best housekeeper at times. Bless my husband's heart. I'm very, let's just say laid back, in that area. It's not always nice and neat and tidy, but hey, it's my life. And I'm not a slob, not by any means, I just don't freak out about having everything spotless and in pristine condition. It's much worse doing the school year because after I have worked all day I have absolutely no desire, whatsoever, to come home and clean. During the summer I have a lot more time and I actually want things neat and in order. And when I do get the inclination to clean, watch out, I am one serious woman on a mission. I want everything in it's proper place. I want every shoe, every candle, every pen to have a home. I want ultimate organization. (I'm slightly obsessed with organization.) I want the floors spotless and the furniture shining. And I want all of these things done in just a matter of minutes. I don't like waiting, I want instant cleanliness.


Anyway, after my mom, grandmom and aunt stopped by earlier this week, I got in one of those rare moods. Our den is a disaster. It's oddly shaped, we have large furniture and Morgan Kate has about one billion toys. Seriously. We don't have a playroom and our guest room already has a multitude of purposes, so about 98% of her toys are in our den. Like I mentioned earlier, the day they stopped by there were toys and stuffed animals and coloring books, even her potty, all over the floor. The two couch cushions were on the floor. MK's high chair was in the middle of everything. Our den was in need of a serious overhaul. And it's something we've been meaning to do for quite some time. A long time. So, that very afternoon we made a trip to Target to get some "organization essentials". After many hours of sorting and sifting through toys and books, as well as rearranging furniture (a BIG thanks to my mom for those rerarranging ideas) I was able to sit back and relax. Of course at that point it was almost two in the morning and the bed was seriously calling my name. I wish I had a before picture to share with you all. I think you would all be quite impressed. Just imagine a room with stuff everywhere and then take a look at these after pictures:

We have this little "nook" right when you walk in the front door that's kind of separate from our den and we're never really ever sure what to put there. It's now the perfect spot for many of MK's toys and books. I love this. And Morgan Kate thinks it's the neatest thing.

I have some serious issues with organization. I think that's part of my cleaning problem. If every little thing doesn't have a "home" then I get overwhelmed and I just give up. It took hours to sort through all of her toys, big and small, but I did and know every single toy has a home. And each home is labeled. I realize Morgan Kate can't read the labels, but I can and I heart labels. Just ask my coworkers. Everything in my classroom has a label. And the labels are really more for me than anyone. And these particular labels are probably what I am most proud of. They are made out of cardboard, from a diaper box and tied on with a thin piece of rope. Really durable, sturdy and I think they are really cute.


This is wall in our den that is too big for small things and too small for big things. Anyway, it's now MK's little learning and drawing and coloring station.




I was so proud of my work that I text pictures to my mom at midnight. I know, pretty crazy, huh? The best feeling was seeing MK's face the next morning. She loved it. She kept saying, "Mommy, these my books?", "Mommy, these MY toys?" Poor girl didn't know she had many of these books and toys because she could never find them. She's been so good about playing with one basket of stuff, cleaning it up and then moving to another. And she loves taking a book off the shelf, reading it and then returning it for another one. Travis was also quite impressed with my skills.
As I mentioned earlier, my mom gave me some really good tips on rearranging our furniture. She's so awesome at that kind of stuff. And she suggested putting these two large chairs on the same wall. I wasn't so sure about it at first, sometimes I just gotta see things, but once I did, I fell in love. On the opposite wall is our couch and two end tables with lamps. I would show the wall with our TV, but our TV is nothing impressive. We bought it when we were first married, which wasn't that long ago, but I swear it looks like something from the 80s. It's enormous.

Well, there it is. My first post, I think, about a home improvement project. Next time I'll be sure to take before and after pictures. You guys would have been blown away by the ones for this project. Next up - our closet or maybe the guest room or maybe the guest room closet. I have several options here...

6 comments:

Kathy Hardison said...

It looks great. I threw out suggestions for you and then came home trying to figure out how to change up things here. Now you can give me suggestions on the "man cave" room. Serious changes need to be made there. LY

Justin and Jessica Jones said...

AS a felow label lover, I am very impressed. Have you ever been to IKEA? You need to visit. You would love all of their organization systems. Maybe we can do a girl's trip to Charlotte one weekend and check it out. I am always looking for a good excuse to go there. Great seeing you guys today. Have a fun weekend with your honey!

Hollie Heming said...

Wow! I am most impressed. You should come to my house now and wave your magic wand! Love you!

Anonymous said...

I just read the comments...I told kelly that she and I would have to go to IKEA in Charlotte one day. I love it. I have a huge IKEA right next door to me. I could have spent so much money if I was at home. :) Maybe we will have to take a girls shopping weekend to Charlotte. :) See you soon!
Charlotte

Anonymous said...

Go girl!! It looks fabulous!!! I am planning to do that in the playroom this summer, it drives me crazy b/c it isn't as organized as I like stuff:)

Roddey

Allie said...

I just bought the same cube thing from Target in white for when we re-do kennedy's room on Sunday:). I love seeingbit set up in your house:). Looks great! Wanna organize my house next? I'm going to have a baby in like 10 weeks and am not nesting at all!!!