Thursday, April 12, 2012

Pre-Easter Festivities

The week before spring break, Morgan Kate attended four different Easter egg hunts. 
The week of spring break, we had about four hundred Easter egg hunts at home, another at Kaka's house and another at my grandmother's Easter day. 
We also dyed eggs twice and made an "Easter egg Christmas tree" as Morgan Kate calls it. 
Needless to say, our Easter was quite festive. 
And no worries, we made sure it wasn't all about eggs and hiding and the Easter Bunny.
I wanted Morgan Kate to know the real meaning of Easter. 
I wanted her to know that we celebrate this special day because Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sins and then on the third day, he rose! 
However, I wasn't quite sure how to really convey that to a three year old. After all, I'm thirty-one and sometimes it's still a bit much to wrap my brain around.
I wanted her to know that this day was about Jesus and his sacrifice, but I didn't want to worry her or scare her. I mean dying is a tough enough subject to talk about and then discussing the whole "he rose again" thing - wowzers. In all honesty, while I'm so thankful he did rise again, it still can be a little scary - especially when you are three.
Anyway, I found this really great book at Target titled, What is Easter? True teacher style to find a book to talk about an important subject.
It was perfect at explaining the true meaning of Easter in a way that a little person could understand it. Or a big person for that matter. It made sure to mention the important stuff, but didn't go into an enormous amount of detail - which I personally appreciated. 
We read it almost every night the week before Easter. We also read other books about ducks and springtime and Peter Rabbit.
By the time Easter morning rolled around I think she sorta-kinda-in-a-round-about way understood the "big part" of Easter. And that makes my heart happy.
Our time together before Easter has me so excited about this summer. I am so looking forward to all of the fun things we are going to be able to do together.  
Maybe we will hide eggs or even dye them again, just for fun.
Or maybe we will just boil a bunch of eggs and munch on them.
After all, Morgan Kate LOVES boiled eggs.
Yolk and all.

4 comments:

MJP said...

Omg, Heather! She's such a big girl now!

Elizabeth said...

I love her expressions!

Someone told me about Resurrection Eggs & how they helped her children understand the real meaning of Easter. I saw them at Hobby Lobby this year but figured we still have a few more years before Addison will understand.

Elizabeth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I love ALL the pictures! Murphy and Abby did some egg hiding for Shellie and she is so use to her Dad's complicated hiding that she could not find several of their places! Loved it!! :) Kids are so special and such a wonderful blessing.

Thank you Jesus for dying on that old rugged cross for our sins and for rising up from the grave on that third day. How SPECIAL You are in our lives.

Two little girls born almost a year apart...both under 2 lbs...and both are thriving and happy this day. A thank you is not adequate.

Love to you, Travis and MK :) Ms. Phala