As I was browsing Pinterest, I came across the 50 Rules for Dad of Daughters. If you haven't read it, you should. I thought I would share a few of my favorites.
1. Love her mom. Treat her mother with respect, honor, and a big heaping spoonful of public displays of affection. When she grows up, the odds are good she’ll fall in love with and marry someone who treats her much like you treated her mother. Good or bad, that’s just the way it is. I’d prefer good.
This is so true. I watched my daddy love my mom this way and I knew that one day, when I was a grown up, I wanted a man just like my daddy. I wanted someone who would say "I love you" multiple times a day. I wanted someone who would tell me I was beautiful, even if it was five minutes after I rolled out of the bed. I wanted someone who would hug me and kiss me and pinch my backside just cause. I found him.
2. Always be there. Quality time doesn’t happen without quantity time. Hang out together for no other reason than just to be in each other’s presence.
Travis is all about quality time. Yes, he enjoys doing his "man" things, but most of the time he's perfectly content just to be with his girls. And we don't have to be doing anything special. Some of our favorite times are just being at home TOGETHER.
7. She will fight with her mother. Choose sides wisely.
Already happened. Will happen again. Travis typically chooses wisely.
9. Of course you look silly playing peek-a-boo. You should play anyway.
This is one of Morgan Kate's favorite games and she always has a way of suckering Travis in to play.
16. Take her fishing. She will probably squirm more than the worm on your hook. That’s OK.
Already done. She "played the game" for about thirty minutes and then was ready to move on. The worms didn't bother her, but she very much disliked the crickets.
Once when I was little my daddy took me hunting. I thought it was the greatest idea ever. Once we got there, my mind changed a little. It was hot, we sat on the ground and I didn't really like having to be so quiet. In order to entertain myself I took a bottle of bug spray and sprayed every bug that flew by. Needless to say, I didn't go back.
18. Tell her she’s beautiful. Say it over and over again. Someday an animated movie or “beauty” magazine will try to convince her otherwise.
Travis does this every single day. Multiple times a day. Along with, "You are smart", "You are creative", "You are so special". He is the BEST daddy.
20. Take her camping. Immerse her in the great outdoors. Watch her eyes fill with wonder the first time she sees the beauty of wide open spaces. Leave the iPod at home.
Travis is anxiously awaiting this day.
23. When she learns to give kisses, she will want to plant them all over your face. Encourage this practice.
Travis not only encourages this, but taught her how to do this.
24. Knowing how to eat sunflower seeds correctly will not help her get into a good college. Teach her anyway.
28. She will eagerly await your return home from work in the evenings. Don’t be late.
Baby girl eagerly awaits his arrival every day. Even more so when he's been out of town or out of the country.
34. Somewhere between the time she turns three and her sixth birthday, the odds are good that she will ask you to marry her. Let her down gently.
She's already asked. He's already attempted to let her down easily. Sweet girl.
35. She’ll probably want to crawl in bed with you after a nightmare. This is a good thing.
Happens. Except one of us usually crawls in her bed.
37. Introduce her to the swings at your local park. She’ll squeal for you to push her higher and faster. Her definition of “higher and faster” is probably not the same as yours. Keep that in mind.
I assure you all that MK's definition of "higher and faster" are definitely not the same as Travis'. When she says higher and faster, she really means higher and faster. Travis does not. He doesn't like for her to swing higher and/or faster.
I thought the entire article was so good and not only reminded me of Travis and MK, but of me and my daddy.