Thursday, October 2, 2008

Morgan Kate had quite a day! She was very busy today and when we left tonight she was sound asleep.

The day began like every other, with a visit from the doctor. Dr. E was listening to Morgan Kate's heart, lungs, and bowels. In the lungs she detected fluid and in her heart she detected a heart murmur. Of course, I assume the worst and want to just break down, but I somehow manage to keep it all together. With Morgan Kate's increasing oxygen needs Dr. E ordered blood work and an echocardiogram to take a closer look at the heart. When Morgan Kate was first born her heart ultrasound revealed that her patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) was open. They gave her medication (ibuprofen) to help close the PDA and her second ultrasound revealed only a trace of an opening. They discontinued the medication and said that the PDA would completely close on its on when Morgan Kate got older. Today Dr. E was concerned that the PDA had re-opened. The official report has not come back as of 9:30pm, but as of this afternoon Dr. E had spoken with the tech. The tech said that there was a slight opening in the PDA and this was classified as trivial. They do not do anything for trivial openings. However, Dr. E has decided to continue giving Morgan Kate lasix for the fluid on her lungs for the next several days. Not only will the lasix help with the fluid, but with the opening in the PDA as well. All of the blood work came back fine. God is good!

In the midst of all of this I found out that Morgan Kate's eye exam was scheduled for today at 1:00. I had heard awful things about the eye exam and had decided that when the opthamologist showed up I would step right outside the door and wait patiently. However, with everything else going on I decided that I needed to be with her and that I had to be strong for her. Wow! What a mistake! This procedure isn't supposed to be painful or that's what the opthamologist said. However, you wouldn't have known that listening to Morgan Kate cry. It was absolutely awful and broke my heart even further. I held everything in while the doctor was there and the minute he left I called Travis and just lost it on the phone. Of course I am hysterical and Travis thinks something is terribly wrong. I manage to get it together and explain that she is fine, it's me that's having a hard time. The entire procedure lasted only five minutes. The opthamologist said that as of right now her eyes look good and he will check her again in two weeks. Her retina and the blood vessels surrounding the retina are still very immature, but there is no sign of scarring or of retinopathy of prematurity (ROP). Her eyes will mature rapidly at 36 weeks and they will officially know more at that time. 

After blood work, an echocardiogram, and an awful eye exam, it was also bath night. Typically baths are nice and relaxing, but when you are only 2 pounds and several ounces baths can be quite stressful and a lot of work. Morgan Kate did pretty well, she did fuss a little. However, the minute she was finished and got situated she fell fast asleep. 

I am thankful for...
-I am thankful that God has been so good!
-I am thankful for great results on the echocardiogram and the blood work.
-I am thankful that the eye exam is over for this week and that the results were positive.
-I am thankful that my baby girl is such a fighter!
-I am thankful that she is continuing to grow and weighed in at 2 pounds and 15 ounces tonight!!
-I am thankful for wonderful family and friends.

Prayer Requests:
-Morgan Kate's lungs will heal
-the PDA will close
-Morgan Kate's eyes will continue to mature and develop in a positive way
-continued growth
-Kaky's surgery - October 8th 



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do have so many things to be thankful for and Morgan Kate is thankful to have such a wonderful, caring mommy who is so strong and spends her days with her making everything bad better! I'm praying for all your prayer request plus more, keep your strength up-you're doing a fabulous job plus more! Thinking about you, Trav, and Morgan Kate. Love you guys, Kelly

Hollie Heming said...

Wow! Y'all did have a busy day! Although that eye exam was traumatic for you to watch, Morgan Kate has already forgotten it! She won't remember all she has gone through these last 6 weeks, although you will never forget. Morgan Kate has a strong, courageous mommy and daddy. She's a lucky girl! Yay-almost 3 pounds! I will continue to pray for you all. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Yesterday was a tough day for you and Morgan Kate...but God saw you through it and will continue to carry you through this journey. Keep leaning into His arms and love. Give Morgan Kate a kiss for us if you can today and tell her we love her and her Mommy and Daddy, Gator & Kaky, and entire family and hope she grows more today and that we are praying for her specific prayer requests.
Love, Phala & Lyn & Family

Anonymous said...

I am thinking and praying everyday for Morgan Kate. Both of you are true fighters in my eyes.
I hope you are doing well and I look foward to seeing you soon and meeting Morgan Kate. I hope that you, Morgan and Travis have a great weekend. Take care
Lindsay M

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather!
I love that you give us the specific things to pray for! I know yesterday was tough, but you have your strong faith to help you through those tough times - and your wonderful family! I pray for Morgan Kate every day and can't wait to meet her & snuggle her one day (when she's a big girl)! We will take good care of Kaky (& Gator & Kyle) after her surgery - and you just keep taking good care of Morgan Kate! You're doing a fabulous job!
Love,
Kathy C.

The Leviners said...

I'm so glad that the eye exam went well and that the news was good! This made my day as I know you were anticipating the exam! She is a fighter! She's showing you and Travis how much she loves her mommy and daddy!! She and your mother are in our prayers!
Love and Prayers,
Melissa and Sam