Saturday, November 8, 2008

As I have said before the NICU is a roller coaster of events, but it is also a roller coaster of emotions for parents. There are days when things are great and you feel really good and positive about things. There are other days when you are numb to everything around you. And then there are days where you are just having a "low" and can't seem to get out of it. This past week Travis and I have had our share of lows. It's not because things weren't going well or because something happened necessarily, it was just a dip in our emotional roller coaster. You just wonder if you are doing all you can do, or if you did something wrong. You wonder if things are ever going to get better. We worry all the time, we want nothing but the best for Morgan Kate and we are trying our best to be patient, but we just want her home so badly. Today all three of us had a really good day. Travis and I are trying to stay positive!

Dr. B decided to turn Morgan Kate's oxygen flow back up to three. She was having to work a lot harder and going back up to three has made things some easier. Also, her oxygen parameters have been changed. For the past several weeks her oxygen saturation parameters have been 85 - 95 - meaning that if her oxygen sats dropped below 85 (too low) or got above 95 (too high) then an alarm would go off. Today her parameters were increased because she is older and are now 90 - 98. With the increase in parameters her oxygen needs have increased slightly (where 87 was okay before, now it's too low). So today she was at a flow of three and and anywhere between 30% - 35% oxygen. When we left tonight she was at 31%. All in all, she is holding her own and doing a great job! 

Dr. B also said he was a little concerned about her rapid weight gain. Remember, Wednesday night she was four pounds and thirteen ounces and last night she was five pounds and four ounces, meaning she gained almost seven ounces in just two nights. Dr. B said it could be because she is catching up from last week or it could be fluid. They will keep a close eye on this because if it is fluid then it could make breathing a lot harder. Tonight she weighed in at five pounds and two ounces

She did much better with her bottle feeds today. They are continuing to keep her at three bottles a day. I fed her at 3pm and then again at 9pm. She did well with both feeds. She ate, burped and then was out like a light. 

This afternoon Morgan Kate got to watch some TV. The hospital had the USC game playing so Travis and Morgan Kate got comfortable and watched some good ole' college football. Adorable!

Every time I look at Morgan Kate I am reminded of how amazing God is. He has truly blessed Travis and I. We have this precious perfect little gift that is working incredibly hard. I wish I had the strength and courage Morgan Kate has! I am also reminded of all the moms who told me, "You will never know a love like the love you have for your child". As cliche as it may sound, it is so true. 


6 comments:

Monica said...

My friend, you are stronger than you know. Y'all are doing a wonderful job and things will get better. Remember always that God is in control--you just keep the faith.
Much love to you.
monica

Hollie Heming said...

So glad you had a good day. It seems like it was much needed. Our sermon at church today was about being "rich" and it's not about money, it's about being blessed. According to God's word, you are very rich! He has blessed you so much through this journey. I am so proud of the parents you and Travis are. I will pray for you to continue to feel so blessed! Check out www.seacoast.org if you'd like to watch the sermon. Love you all!

Anonymous said...

You are so right about motherhood being a blessing, and it never ends. I remember when you were in your early teens, and you and your mom were going through a tough time. I remember how your mom dedicated herself to prayer and fighting for her relationship with you. Now look at what a special relationship you have. The one thing about being a mom is that you want everything perfect for your children. However, God does not grow us that way. We really grow through the trials we face, and it is all a part of the larger plan He has for us. God is growing you, Travis, and Morgan Kate right now. He is preparing you for His work. I can not wait to see how he is going to use you in the future! Love, Aunt Terry

Jill said...

Heather,

As the mom of a 1 lb 7 oz, 28-wkr, I remember the feelings you are having oh so well. They are perfectly normal. I remember in his first weeks in the NICU that if I could just crawl into the incubator with him, everything would be OK. Once he was in the "feeder and grower" stage that anxiety turned to worrying about when he came home. If you ever want to talk about what you're going through or what to expect when Morgan Kate comes home, please let me know. Morgan Kate is a beautiful baby and I have enjoyed following her progress. I wish that I could have done something like this when Mason was in the NICU. My e-mail is jcstewartsc@gmail.com.wq

Deni said...

Oh Heather, I wish I could give you a hug...I just so feel ya, you have no idea! I get it, I understand COMPLETELY the lows and highs and the in betweens, the ups the downs...the uncertainty, the fear, everything.

I actually just wrote a post about that on my blog.

Anyways, hang in there. One of these days when Morgan Kate is home, you will look back on this time as the greatest lesson ever, and you will marvel at every new step that morgan kate makes in her journey.

God is awesome, he is powerful and he does mighty mighty things. Oh the love you feel for a child!

Justin and Jessica Jones said...

Travis looks so comfortable with her in that picture...what a cute daddy/daughter moment. Heather, you guys are doing an amazing job. Morgan Kate is truly a very special gift from God. Miss you.
Love,
Jessica