Wednesday, January 21, 2009

One day I am sure this feeding thing will get easier. One day. Hopefully very, very soon. However, today was not the day.

The past 24 hours have been interesting. Last night we decided to work on our new "bedtime routine". Ha, ha, ha. What were we thinking? We got Morgan Kate read
y for bed and gave her a bottle at 8pm. Our plan was to feed her and put her to bed. We knew she would probably fuss a little, but we were prepared to "let her cry" and do whatever we had to do to make sure she went to sleep. Well, Miss 
Morgan Kate had other plans. Here is a brief timeline of last night:

Trav fed Morgan Kate. After taking an ounce Trav tried burping MK. She burped and then started with this clicking sound in her throat. Next minute - projectile vomit. Clean things up, change clothes, finish the bottle. MK was able to get an ounce in.

After the bottle MK gets sleepy so we put her down. Until midnight (her next feeding) she cries and cries and cries. We let her cry, then we come in, pat her back, give her the pacifier, even try rocking her. She gets sleepy, we put her down again, she sleeps for about ten minutes and then the crying starts again.

I give MK her bottle. She takes the entire thing, burping throughout. After finishing the bottle she starts with the same clicking sound in her throat. Minutes later - more projectile vomit. Clean her up, clean myself up, try feeding her a little more because she is clearly hungry, put her to bed.

From midnight until 2:30 we continue the crying, sleeping for ten minutes routine. Finally, at 2:30 she gives it up. 

Trav feeds MK. Able to get 50cc's in - no vomit.

I feed MK. She will only take an ounce. I don't push the issue because at least she hasn't thrown up.

I feed MK. Get one ounce down, clicking noise starts, more projectile vomit. Clean her up, clean myself up, let her rest, give her a little more and call pediatrician.

From noon until 5 we give MK Pedialyte to keep her hydrated. We also bundle up and go have blood work done. Dr. G calls around 5 and says we have two options:
Option 1
Travis and I can feed her an ounce every two hours for the rest of the night and we will come up with a plan first thing tomorrow morning.
Option 2
We can admit MK to the hospital.

Travis and I opted for Option 1, so we are currently feeding her one ounce every two hours. We want to avoid the hospital at all costs. To stay alert and be able to function we are taking shifts. I tried sleeping from 8pm - midnight and he is asleep now. We have an appointment first thing in the morning to decide what to do next. Please pray that we get this figured out. I don't know what else to do. It breaks my heart to see her this way and know there is nothing I can do to make it any better. She is on maximum amount of reflux meds and she's on her fourth formula. 

On a much, much lighter note, we did have snow here today. Such a rarity here. So much so that most all schools closed and many business shut down shop as well. It was so pretty, but we didn't dare go out. Too many cords and wires anyway. I was able to snap a few photos of the nice white stuff and then took a photo of MK before we left for the blood work. She was too cute all bundled up!


THE SPIVEY"S said...

I just want to let you know that I am praying for you, Travis and Morgan Kate. I pray that the feeding issues are resolved soon and the hospital is the last option that you have to face.

Jenny Garris said...

MK looks adorable all bundled up! But aren't you glad we live in SC and only have to deal with all of that for a short time?
I hope things get better soon. Focus on the blessings---you have so many---and have faith that all things will work in their own time. When reflect on all you have done, you can see that you can handle anything, even functioning on very little sleep! I'm thinking of you every day! :) Jenny

Anonymous said...

I wanted to let you know that I am thinking and praying for all of you. I check every afternoon to see how you are doing. I am sorry to hear that you had such a rough night with Morgan Kate. I can’t imagine. Other then her getting sick all the time from her feedings it sounds like you are heading in the right direction with the schedule. I bet if she could feel better and eat better that it wouldn’t take long for a schedule. But poor little girls tummy hurts. I can’t imagine. My son dealt with AR for the first 7 months and it was bad. The medicine worked wonderfully for us (the second time, the first they put him on didn’t work). I can’t wait to hear how your appointment went and to see if the every two hour feedings work. But I hope there is an answer to get more sleep for you two and more comfort for MK. God Bless and hold on tight.


Anonymous said...

LOL, did they seriously shut everything down for that amount of snow??? Here in NH that would be considered a light dusting.

On a more serious note. I hope MK is doing better!

Anonymous said...

Heather- I have been reading your blogs and decided to leave you a message, too bad it was under your September 3 (I think) blog! :)You young folks...I can't keep up with this new technology!
MK looks adorable all bundled up for the dusting of snow we got! MK is so blessed that she has you all as parents. Remember God's plan is so much more than we can even begin to comprehend. You are touching the lives of so many people for Christ through the hospital, doctor's office, and your blogs. I will continue to keep you all in my prayers. Sherry and Madison Ward

Terry Sowell said...

Hey! I wish we could see snow. It is going to get better with Morgan Kate's feedings. We are praying for improvement with them. Hang in there and know we love you! Aunt Terry

Jason and Talyse Burkett said...

You are right, she definitely looks adorable all bundled up! The three of you are in our prayers and we hope tonight goes much better for you.

Deni said...

I so wish I could hug you right now! I hate reflux, simply hate it...I am praying you get things figured out. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Heather - Morgan Kate looks so beautiful sleeping....she is really pretty. I can't wait to see her in person.
Take Care.
You are doing a great job!!!!
I am so proud of you.