Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Sometimes I feel like our stay in the NICU was a 107 day course for new parents. Really. We learned so, so much during our stay.

Let's think about it..

Holding your baby
How did you feel the first time you held your brand new baby? You may have been anxious, nervous, scared. You probably wondered if you were doing it right or if your baby's head was in just the right position. I'll admit. I used to get very nervous when I would hold a newborn baby. We were super nervous the first time we held our little bundle of joy, but we had nurses standing right beside us each time to assist with anything we needed. They were there to tell us the best position, how to hold her head and anything else we needed help with.

Bath time 
What about the first time you bathed your new baby? You were most likely at home and hadn't a clue what to do. Sponge bath? Submerge in water? Get the hair wet or keep dry? Three times a week for fifteen weeks we got to practice this skill with a nurse standing right beside us. When you do something three times a week for fifteen weeks you get pretty good at it.

Changing a diaper
Now I knew how to change a diaper, but I didn't know the whole "slide-a-new-diaper-under-the-old-diaper-before-taking-it-off" trick. This has saved me so many, many times.

Bottle feeding
How do you hold the bottle? How often do you burp the baby? Again, we had the best nurses on hand to assist when needed. They showed us techniques, tricks, all sorts of things. And when Morgan Kate wouldn't take the bottle for us, her nurses would give it a try.


After our NICU stay there are also things we just can't seem to do any other way. 
For instance...

We think Morgan Kate can only wear Pampers because that's what they use in the NICU.

For a long time I never used a bib when feeding her because they didn't use one in the NICU.

I dress Morgan Kate in the next day's outfit each night. Meaning that she sleeps in her clothes for the next day. That's how they did it in the NICU and it works great at home, especially when we have early doctor appointments.

I think Morgan Kate should only get a bath on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays because that's what we did in the NICU.

I think that at all times Morgan Kate needs to be dressed in socks, an outfit with long sleeves and legs, and at times even swaddled just to stay warm. Again, that's how we dressed her in the NICU. Sometimes I forget that you could probably just put a baby in a onesie and be good.

___________________________________________________

We visited Dr. G today. Earlier in the week we didn't have an appointment on the calendar, but I knew we would probably go in for at least a weigh-in. Sure enough today was the day. And speaking of weight...our little gal is one ounce shy of the double digits. She weighed in at nine pounds and fifteen ounces. I was so very excited!
  

9 comments:

Terry Sowell said...

Well...I was a Pampers girl too!!! We got our birth announcement today. It was adorable. I hope you are printing off your daily journal entries. They are such a keepsake. I love you! Aunt Terry

Martha Compton said...

I know what you mean about learning so much in the NICU. I think that's one reason I gave up breastfeeding so quickly and only pumped...I didn't have a nurse or lactation consultant standing by!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how much MK has grown. It won't be long and you guys will be out going everywhere!
The wedding and beach trip are righgt around the corner....
Keep us posted--I enjoy reading and viewing the blog each night.
Love you all,
Aunt Rhonda

Kelly Lee said...

Morgan Kate has been blessed since day one to have the best people in her life. You couldn't have asked for a better experience in the NICU with the most caring nurses around. I'm so glad she is gaining weight and ya'll have a routine that is working. So, will she be wearing a different Valentine's outfit each day next week (like Halloween)? Give her a big hug and kiss. Love you guys, Kelly

Anonymous said...

WOW! Double digits? She is a growing girl :) So glad things are looking up for all of you. The posts make so many people smile each day. Please keep them up :)

Love y'all
Jessa

Anonymous said...

This post made me smile!! The NICU nurses also taught us the "new diaper under the dirty diaper" trick, and I am still a very loyal Pampers consumer b/c of our little stay in the NICU. :) (Caroline is about to be too big for swaddlers and that makes me sad. Haha!) I am so happy that y'all have gotten into a routine and that Morgan Kate is doing so well!

Hollie Heming said...

We, too are Pampers all the way! We probably will never switch. I'm always in awe of your faith, strength, and patience when I read your blog. I'm wondering if you're offering any professional development sessions on how to do that? haha! I miss you terribly! Give that sweet girl a kiss from me :).

Anonymous said...

We can't wait for Morgan Kate to come out and play. Hold her while she will let you. They get little minds of their own once they get some mobility. We are beyond Swaddlers, but the Cruisers are really good too.

Keith, Melinda, and Megan

THE SPIVEY"S said...

Your quote is so true...nothing is impossible with God. How true it is. I still ask myself some of those questions that you stated. I think a great mother (which you are) always asks themselves those questions. That is what Christian's doctor says...if you did not care, were not worried, or not a great mother then you would not ask those questions or worry.