Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I consider myself to be very fortunate. I have two of the most amazing grandmothers. They are wonderful women, they would do anything in the world for any of the grandchildren and they even get along with each other. I know. Wow! I also consider myself to be very fortunate because they have both been able to see my child, or their great-grand child. I have extremely fond memories with Mama Jean and Mammie. I could spend hours writing about all of my different memories with each grandmother.  

I vividly remember driving a little John Deere tractor around Mama Jean's driveway (which was covered with Clemson tiger paws), spending the night with her and eating buttery eggs the next morning, and watching she and Papa play the Nintendo. Yes, my grandparents had a Nintendo, when Nintendo's were cool. Watch out Mario and Luigi! I remember spending countless holidays at her house with all of my cousins. I remember "hosting" numerous pretend fashion slows. I remember playing in her backyard with Bandit. I remember spending many, many nights there with my cousin, Kelly. And I remember how she would always let me sleep with her and she would remind me to say my prayers before going to sleep. Speaking of Mama Jean, she had to have her pacemaker replaced Tuesday afternoon. The procedure went well and she is already at home and recovering. Please continue to keep her in your prayers. 

At Mammie's I remember playing "waitress" and wanting to take everyone's order, especially my Poppadaddy's. I remember eating buttery grits and watching cartoons. I remember playing with Mammie's jewelry and trying to wear all of it. I remember playing "office" with my cousins. I remember sleeping with Mammie at night and "platting" her hair (she has really long hair). I remember phenomonal Christmas Eve dinners with tons of family. I remember playing in her backyard and running around the circle. And I also remember Mammie's smocked dresses. 

My cousin, LeighAnne, and I are very close in age. So for every holiday, special event or whatever else from the time we were born until around age twelve Mammie would make us a smocked dress - she made all the boys little jumpers. We have countless numbers of dresses and I still have all of mine to this day. When we were younger we LOVED wearing them and we LOVED that we matched. We even participated in her smocking gill's annual fashion shows. Around age ten or so we began to like them less. Fast forward about eighteen years. Now that I have a little one, a precious baby girl, I have been longing for more smocked dresses. Not for me of course, but for her. I have all of mine that Morgan Kate can wear, but I wanted her to have some of her very own.

At one of my very first baby showers Mammie gave me a smocked dress for Morgan Kate. Oh the joy! I was thrilled to receive it and couldn't wait for the day that Morgan Kate could wear it. We haven't been anywhere to actually wear it, but it finally fits. Today I couldn't resist. Morgan Kate was in a really good mood and I had an "itch" for a photo shoot. When I put the dresses on her it brought back a flood of memories. My eyes were filled with tears. Not because I was sad, but because I was getting to dress my baby girl in dresses handmade by her great-grandmother. Enjoy the photos!

This was the very first dress Mammie made. 
She looks like a little angel!


Mammie made this pink for MK also. 
I think the pink one is my favorite.


Apparently, MK likes the pink one too!


This picture is especially for my mom. If you want to know more, click here. 





The following pictures are Morgan Kate's "bloopers". She decided to make faces for the camera.







Not only was she making funny faces, but she was trying her best to pull her dress up. It was hilarious. Each time I put a new dress on she immediately began to pull it up. Not sure who she gets that from. 






The dress below is actually a dress that my Aunt Terry and cousin Maggie sent us. Maggie used to wear this dress and now she is letting Morgan Kate borrow it. 




I couldn't stop with just the dresses. Morgan Kate was being very cooperative and seemed to love the camera so I had to get a few more. 

Morgan Kate and her BIG ducky that Kaky and GDaddy brought her this weekend. It is huge, but so cute!







11 comments:

Justin and Jessica Jones said...

Okay...that baby is just too cute. I loved all of the dresses. My grandparents all passed away when I was very young, so I don't really have any memories of them...other than what my mom has told me. I am fascinated by the relationship that grandparents have with their grandchildren, and I love to watch Madeleine and Micah interact with their grandparents. Keep the photos coming...we love you!
:) Jessica

Stephanie said...

YOu got some great pictures!!!! How incredibly blessed you and Morgan Kate are to have such wonderful grandmothers in your lives.

Thankfully my babies still have their great great grandmother alive..she'll be 95 this year. We don't get to see her as often as we'd like but how I cherish those memories.

Love those dresses!!!!!

Hollie Heming said...

Your memories sound so similar to mine. I love to see our parents interact with Will but there is nothing like watching our grandparents with him. I know you can't wait for your grandmothers to be able to hold MK. By the way, girl's got some meat on her bones!! I love it!!! I want to get a hold of those legs. Wait until you see Will's! haha

THE SPIVEY"S said...

Oh how ADORABLE. She is so photogenic.

Liz Mitchum said...

OH, I LOVE the smocked dresses, they are beautiful and so special that your grandmother made them. Morgan Kate is growing and looks so happy, she is precious!
Love,
LIz

The Fricks said...

Ohhhh, I love smocked dresses. Until I had Josie, I didn't appreciate how gorgeous they really were. My grandmother smocked Josie several too. So beautiful. They're truly worth keeping! Have fun playing dress-up.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post. I read it this morning at 6:00 and had tears going down my "make-uped" (I know that is not a word, but us girls understand it) face so I waited until after work to write something so it wouldn't get worse. She is so precious. I know it makes Mammie's day seeing her greatgranddaughter in the dresses she made. You know you look good when you can pull off a bonnet!!! Thanks for sharing those pics. I give you permission to post all her pictues from her photo shoots:) Have a great day! Love you guys, Kelly

Anonymous said...

She is so precious in all of her dresses well all of her pictures. She is photogenic. I believe I like all the dresses. MaMa Likes them too. You are so blessed to have those memories. MaMa can't wait to hold her well Aunt Jan too and make some special memories for her, you and Travis.Give her lots of Hugs and Kisses for us. We love you, Travis and Morgan Kate.
Love,
Aunt Jan

Anonymous said...

These pictures of her are beautiful! She is so precious and getting so big...How exciting! I love keeping up with you guys through your blog!!!

Anonymous said...

Your last years student said...

I love the new blog set. It looks awesome. I hope to see you very very soon.

Anonymous said...

Your last years student Taylor Boling said...

I love the new blog set. It looks so awesome. I hope to see you very very soon.