Monday, March 9, 2009

Today Morgan Kate got quite the workout. Tracking exercises, tummy time, even stomach crunches. 

Because of Morgan Kate's prematurity and extreme low birth weight she automatically qualifies for various services. We have an early interventionist (EI) that comes out once a week to work with Morgan Kate. Many preemies have developmental delays and the EI's come out to help the child catch up. So far we haven't noticed any delays with Morgan Kate (Praise the Lord!), but we just want to make sure we are on top of things. 

Last week was the EI's first visit. She spent a lot of time getting to know Morgan Kate and then she and I worked on an assessment. Basically it was a lot of questions about Morgan Kate's developmental skills. Does she make eye contact? Does she make sounds? Does she have some head control? Does she smile? Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Anyway, the EI asks a bunch of questions based on a 3 month olds development. (Remember, Morgan Kate is six months old according to when she was born, but only three months developmentally.) Then, together we write goals for Morgan Kate. For all you teachers out there, it's kind of like an IEP. So I felt very intelligent, like I knew what I was doing. Hee, hee. Each week the EI and whoever else we might need (speech therapist, physical therapist, occupational therapist, etc.) come out and work with Morgan Kate. 

Today our EI brought another EI who is more familiar with preemies. Together they were amazing. They even both commented on great Morgan Kate looked and how well she was doing. Always good news to a mommy! While here they had Morgan Kate track objects in a straight line and in a circle. They also had her do some tummy time. She was really interested and worked extremely hard for the first few minutes, but then she was done with that. Morgan Kate also had to do some stomach crunches which helps with building the muscles in her trunk. Too bad the EI can't work with my trunk muscles. I was so proud of Morgan Kate and how hard she worked. She was such a trooper! However, when she was done, she was DONE. After about thirty minutes (which I happen to think is a long time for her) she was so over the exercises. She had become quite fussy and as I was trying to comfort her she fell asleep in my arms. Now, I know what I need to do when she won't take a nap - give her a little workout! 

------------------------------------------------------------------

We don't have any other appointments this week. I think this is our slowest week since being home. Oh and by the way, we have been home for three months as of today. And it feels so good.

Our next appointment is on the 17th with our pulmonologist. I'll be sure to keep you all updated.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad the EI visit went well. Take FULL advantage of all those wonderful services. They will be a good sounding board for you.

I am so proud of you!!!

Wendy S

Anonymous said...

Whew!! What a workout. Morgan Kate probably says bump those exercises.....I be done with them.Glad to hear she got a good report. Those IEP can be exhausting. I am so proud of you and Travis. Wonderful Parents and Wonderful Daughter. Still have not figured out how to post on Kaky's blog.. Please help. I keep up with the blogs. So glad she is better and you guys had a wonderful family time this past weekend...

Lots of Love and Kisses....from MaMa and Aunt J

Mushy. We love Mushy..........

THE SPIVEY"S said...

Ha, you go Morgan Kate. She is going to be the fittest little baby around. Maybe I need to come and work out with her since I can't lose these last 10 pounds of baby fat. Keep up the great work Morgan Kate. Start the workout routine now so that in the future you will love it because it is not fun...ha.

Deni said...

We have an EI type thing too, not called that, but basically that's what she is, she works with a program called "Help Me Grow" ours are monthly visits!

Sounds like Morgan Kate is doing GREAT! I am so glad to hear that. It makes me happy.

We are doing the march of dimes this year and I am planning on making little name cards to put on Parker's stroller that says, "Walking For Our Friend:" and you are going to be one of them. Our team is walking in honor of Parker, obviously, but, I want to include some other miracles that have touched our hearts too! Some of Parker's special preemie friends!

Glad things are good! :)

THE SPIVEY"S said...

Hey, I have been meaning to tell you that I love your pictures and set up at the beginning of your blog. How did you do that? I am looking for something different for Christian's...if you don't mind if I copy it.