Monday, October 5, 2009

All things must come to an end. And this is one ending that I am actually looking forward to. Typically I don't do well with change. I dislike endings. And I hate goodbyes. But this time it's different. I am excited. I am thrilled. Because if everything goes well we could be saying goodbye to formula in exactly one week.


Since Morgan Kate's one year well visit back in August we have been gradually transitioning over to milk. In the beginning I wasn't sure how to make the transition. You may remember that I even asked for suggestions. I am not a "cold turkey" kind of person. I'm a little more gradual. So, each week we have been adding an ounce of milk and taking away an ounce of formula. So far, so good. And by next Tuesday we will be "all milk".

It's a little sad knowing my "baby" girl is growing up, but it sure will be nice for the wallet. Formula is not cheap. Well actually, Enfamil Gentlease proved to be the cheapest formula MK was on. Remember, we began with Neosure. Pricey. Then, moved to Nutramigen, then to Similac Sensitive. Pricier. Then to Neocate. Priciest. Finally, we were able to switch over to Enfamil Gentlease. Thank goodness.

I am hoping that things go well this week and next Tuesday does in fact prove to be our "goodbye to formula" day. Definitely a goodbye I am looking forward to.

Next task at hand, weaning from the bottle. This may take a while longer.

6 comments:

Megan Thiel said...

Yay!! Way to go Morgan Kate! I'm glad the transition is going well. It was a very happy day in this house when we were done with formula! More importantly for us, done with the bottle! We are currently weaning Kayley from the pacifier. She only got it at naps and bedtime, but those times were a little rough this weekend without it, but today was much better so that is a relief! It is bittersweet when they grow up!

The mom of 4 monkeys! said...

That will be nice on the wallet!

A little bit of my personal opinion here though.... If MK loves her bottle don't be too quick to take it away from her. As long as she doesn't have it when she is in her crib I can't imagine it is harmful for her. If it is a comfort let her have it. On the other hand, if she doesn't care about it too much take it away as soon as she masters the sippy cup so she doesn't fall in love with it. :)

Heather said...

Awesome! I nursed both of mine but the first was weaned at 10 months so we had to get formula for 2 months. OUCH that was hard on the wallet. Whole milk is so much less expensive and so much easier to deal with.

Good luck with the sippy. She will get it!

Nicole Wood said...

Hi Heather ...it is me Nicole from Canada!! I got thinking of your MK and thought I would check in on her....oh my goodness what a doll!!! She is so big....glad to see she is doing so well!!!
My Danikah Morganne is almost walking and will be a year next month.....
I would love to catch up with you..if you don't have my e-mail..
it is nwood_dsw97@cogeco.ca

Jenny Garris said...

Yay to no more formula!!
If it makes you feel better, Joel still gets a bottle of milk before bed each night. A big no-no from our pediatrician, but I just haven't wanted to tackle it, and I figure it can't be too harmful--he drinks it in 5 minutes and that's it. And if it makes him sleep better, then it's worth it! (Or at least that's how I justify it!)
Love the new header on the blog! Precious!!

Hollie Heming said...

YAY! You'll be surprised how easy the switch is from the bottle to a cup. Will didn't even seem to notice :)