Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I had been working on an entirely different post for today. But then something else came up and that post took a back burner. I have something much more important to blog about today. And that something happens to be the "language explosion" my daughter had this morning during our speech session. I don't know what happened. I don't know what prompted her. But she was talking like crazy. And talking with real words. I'm not sure if it was the RSV shot just thirty minutes prior or that fact that she "took care of some business" the minute speech started. Like I said, I don't have a clue what initiated it, but I was so proud and thrilled beyond belief. Like tears in my eyes happy!

First, we were playing with this puzzle that has three pieces, a dog, a cat and a bird. The therapist (SLP) makes the dog sound and MK repeats it. Whoah. MK has never made a dog sound. So that goes on for quite some time. Then the SLP says, "The cat says meow". MK repeats, "Ca" (for cat) and then says "mee-oo". Amazing. I was happy with that much progress. But it continued. We then were playing with this book that has farm animals and while playing with the animals you sing, "Old McDonald Had a Farm". So, her therapist is making the animal noises. And it the conversation goes like this:

SLP: And the duck says quack, quack.
A few minutes of silence. And then...
MK: Qua, Qua. (With a huge smile on her face.)
SLP: And the chicken says cluck, cluck.
Quiet for a few seconds.
MK: Cuck, cuck. (Another big smile and some clapping.)
SLP: And the sheep says baa, baa.
MK: Baa, baa. (Almost in a whisper)

I had this enormous smile on my face. I was so proud of her. And just so amazed at all she was doing and all that she is learning. Just so blown away. But she wasn't finished. This girl just doesn't stop.

Finally, we are ending the session and practicing some "signing". MK is having a little snack of puffs and we are practicing "more". She is signing and eating away. And then we start saying, "P,p,p,p,p,puffs". And we continue with this for a little while. Eventually MK catches on and repeats it. Then she figures out that if she says "Paa" she will get a puff. She was so excited! It's like it just clicked for her.

I promise I am not making this stuff up. It just happened and I am still trying to process it all. She just amazes me every single day. For so many months of a baby's life you tend to focus on physical skills and physical development, or at least I did. And then all of a sudden you see these cognitive skills developing and taking place and it's just miraculous. She truly is growing up and I couldn't be happier. She is one special little girl!


13 comments:

MJP said...

Go MK! I know you are so proud!

Anonymous said...

awww....YAAAH!! That is so exciting!!! Go little miss Morgan Kate!!!

-Roddey

Deni said...

AWESOME MK!!!!! Parker hates his speech therapist I think...cuz when we are in therapy he completely ignores her and plays and won't talk. And then as soon as she's gone, boom...blabber mouth.

Personally, I am not a huge fan of her's either. She told me last time that Parker should never had been allowed to use sippy's with straws because now his mouth won't be lose enough...

Parker's been talking a lot more on his own. I honestly don't do a lot with him. He comes to me and tries to say it, like today with block he came over and sais ba - and I sald block - ba - block, bawk....that was it.

Anyways, congrats on miss MK's yappiness today!

The Turner Family said...

That is wonderful!! Way to go smart little girl!!

Justin and Jessica Jones said...

So exciting! I can't wait to hear her sweet voice.

Jason and Talyse said...

That's awesome!!! It's so great when things just click like that, and I know it's so rewarding to know that all of her hard work is paying off!

The Leviners said...

Yes, you are so right! She's growing up and is a very special precious little baby girl! Love you MK!
Melissa

Brent and Kristen said...

God is brilliant in so many ways! All in due time, when you least expect it, our children will amaze us! I am so happy for you and your little one. What a special moment...thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Go MK! Proud of you, sweet girl!
Love,
Liz, Tony and Neeley

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

That is wonderful!!!

Anonymous said...

YAY MK!!! That is WONDERFUL Heather! I just realized I never responded to your message - did you decide to stay at SW or go with Leslie and the other therapists?

Ashleigh Turner said...

Oops! That last comment was from me - Ashleigh.

Megan Thiel said...

Hi Heather! So much has been going on in Morgan Kate's life! Walking and talking! I am so proud of her and happy for you guys! Go Morgan Kate!