Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Cups and shoes.

There are lots of things that have given me trouble as a new mommy. Things like naps, bedtimes, developmental milestones, discipline, crying it out, etc. However, the top two things that have really, really rattled me happen to be cups and shoes.

Cups. We all know that story. Morgan Kate is 19 months old and still drinking almost exclusively from the bottle. We have tried cup after cup after cup. And no luck. None. Zilch. Nada. Until....very recently. You see, we have been using this special honey bear cup that our speech therapist recommended. The honey bear cup has a straw and Morgan Kate now knows how to use a straw. And use it correctly. Therefore, she can drink from any cup that has a straw and just two days ago I found some great cups for children with straws. Now, I realize this is no new invention. But, until your child can drink from a straw they can't use those fancy little sippy cups with straws. Now, Morgan Kate can and I am so very happy. MK is now getting her daytime milk (well most of it anyway) through the cup and we are only doing the bottle at night. I should let you know....we are only on day 2 of this, so I'll keep you posted.


Shoes.

For months now I thought Morgan Kate wore a size two shoe. She only has three pairs of shoes and they are all size two. They seemed to fit, maybe even be a little loose, and everything was good. Yesterday I set out to find some summer shoes. While looking I had this nice little man measure her feet and according to him she is a size four. Four? Really? I've been cramming my daughter's size 4 feet into size 2 shoes? The nice little man explained that all shoes are different and the shoes we do have at home may very well fit her feet just fine. He also told me that while MK's foot is a size four in length, it's more of a size 2 in width. He then proceeded to try and sell me these $50 Stride Rite white sandals. First, I don't want white sandals. There's nothing wrong with white sandals, but I don't want MK to wear them. They start out so bright and end up so dirty. Secondly, I don't want to spend $50 on a shoe she is going to wear for a month, maybe two. I did find some ADORABLE jelly shoes earlier today. I put the size 4s on her and they were so, so big. I tried 3s and still too big. Finally, I tried a 2 and it fit. They were only $5 so I bought them. They can at least hold us over until we find something else. So, I am now on the hunt for a cute summer shoe (not white), that can be worn without socks, and is a size 4 in length and size 2 in width. This should be easy, right? Ha!

--------------------
Just a reminder. All March of Dimes donations will be turned in tomorrow. Sometime tomorrow I will announce the grand total. Three days until the walk! We can't wait!

You can so tell that this little girl has never taken a paci. She doesn't even know what end to put in her mouth. Ha!

3 comments:

The Bridges said...

I hear you with the cup battle! They say they want Brayden off the bottle and using a cup at 1....well that's next week. I've spent a small fortune on cups, so we should swap out! I just figure when they are ready, the will make the transition. Until then...I'll enjoy my bottle time with my growing baby!

The Fricks said...

HAHA...funny. I think EVERY mom in this area goes to the StrideRite man first, realizes their shoes are $50 and then buys cheapies from Target or somewhere. Welcome to the club.

Deni said...

Parker only uses cups with straws too. I finally just one day was like, no more bottle boy and gave him a straw cup and it worked. He won't use a regular sippy (I truly believe it's a preemie thing...) anyway, so I feel ya! Parker is in size 5 shoes now, which to mean is crazy, but I had him in three's so I know what it's like when you realize you may have too small of shoes on their feet.