Thursday, January 3, 2013

Chicken Lettuce Wraps

I first had chicken lettuce wraps years ago at Miyos. I was instantly in love. About a year ago I had them for the first time at P.F. Chang's. Again, love at first bite. 
And while I love a good dinner from either place, I also like being able to fix yummy things in my own kitchen. So, I began hunting for a good recipe. Actually, there was really no hunt. I went to Google, searched for chicken lettuce wraps and went to the very first link. It's called P.F. Chang's Chicken Lettuce Wrap Recipe. I'm sure it's probably not really their actual recipe, but it's good enough for me. 
Oh. My. Goodness. Delish. At first sight I was a bit intimidated by the directions and list of ingredients, but once you have all of your goods, it's actually quite easy. I had a lot of the ingredients, you know, like sugar, ketchup and soy sauce. But, I did not have things like sesame oil and rice wine vinegar. All of these can be bought at your local grocer and once bought they will make numerous batches. So far we have made these wraps three times and still have enough rice wine vinegar and sesame oil to make many, many more. 

As for preparing it, Travis typically cooks and chops the chicken. Cooking chicken is not my thing. It totally grosses me out. I really don't even like to pick up the package it's in. While Travis is cooking the chicken I prepare the different sauces which are so easy to make and then I chop the mushrooms and water chestnuts. I guess it takes us a total of about 45 minutes, maybe 40, from start to finish. It doesn't feel like 45 minutes because we are usually talking or listening to music while we cook or multi-tasking and before we know it, it's all done.

This recipe is so good! Seriously. And I wholeheartedly believe in sharing a good recipe. I don't share just anything. I could seriously eat these every single night. For real.

Oh, the only thing we change or do differently is the lettuce. I think the recipe calls for bib lettuce. I didn't specify the type of lettuce needed on our grocery list and Travis picked up iceberg. It worked just the same and it was a really, really good combination. 


P.S. You can find that fine china in any local grocery store. The style is Dixie. :)

2 comments:

Kathy Hardison said...

You crack me up! Love these daily blog updates :)

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

That does look good! Thanks for sharing!